Hidden Lake Trail head to Zigzag Overlook - Animal Track

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
rodeck

Hidden Lake Trail head to Zigzag Overlook - Animal Track

Post by rodeck » October 19th, 2021, 10:12 pm

I am new to the region and was hiking in Mt. Hood Nation Forest last weekend up to Zigzag overlook from the less traveled route up using the Hidden Lake trail head. I was the first one on the trail in the early morning. After the last snow and about half way up, once I got into fresh snow I started to see regular animal tracks. I don't know my animal tracks yet but this was a well defined track on the trail.
FYI,for size reference I have large hands being a adult male and 6'7'' tall, so this was a decent size predator. Can anyone confirm what kind of animal left this. Looks like some kind of cat to me. Thanks for the help. Have a great day!
Attachments
20211016_093308.jpg
Last edited by rodeck on October 20th, 2021, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnspeth

Re: Hidden Lake Trail head to Zigzag Overlook

Post by johnspeth » October 20th, 2021, 4:37 am

That looks like a black bear print in old snow.

bobcat

Re: Hidden Lake Trail head to Zigzag Overlook

Post by bobcat » October 20th, 2021, 7:31 am

Yes. Probably right front paw. The claw marks are not visible but that's because it's not fresh.

retired jerry

Re: Hidden Lake Trail head to Zigzag Overlook - Animal Track

Post by retired jerry » October 21st, 2021, 6:13 am

I've seen bears to the north of there at this time of year. They eat those berries.