Large Predator Scat ID - North Fork Nehalem - Tillamook Forest

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
gnarlynomad

Large Predator Scat ID - North Fork Nehalem - Tillamook Forest

Post by gnarlynomad » August 31st, 2021, 10:03 am

Happened across a pretty large pile of something with hair in it while hiking down North Fork Rd along the North Fork Nehalem River off Hwy 53 in the Tillamook State Forest. Date was 8/29/21. Sunglasses for reference are roughly 5.75" across. Total length of material, including broken top piece is roughly 7"-8". I had posted to another message board and received suggestions of bear scat, cougar scat and owl pellet. The girth is what caught my eye... I'd never seen a (tubular) dropping of that size. Located out in the open, in the middle of the gated logging road I was hiking down. There were ripe blackberries all along the trail, and I noticed what I assumed to be other bear droppings full of berries, though this could have been from before they had ripened (if it's bear)... it looks like it's been there awhile. Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_3237.jpg
IMG_3236.jpg

Waffle Stomper

Re: Large Predator Scat ID - North Fork Nehalem - Tillamook Forest

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 2nd, 2021, 7:33 am

I'm ruling out owl pellet because of the size and lack of small bone fragments, at least as far as I can see in the photo.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

bobcat

Post by bobcat » September 3rd, 2021, 10:15 am

I'd also rule out bear, since bears are 80+% vegetarian and this is the scat of a pure carnivore. Cougar, most likely.

raven

Post by raven » September 6th, 2021, 11:35 pm

The tapered tip is indicative of cougar. Apparently cougar leave their scat as calling cards for other cougars. Out in the open where they are likely to be recognized as a part of a land claim. Or so I heard and observed during a class on tracking.