Deep Forest Bird Sound?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
peteharman1

Deep Forest Bird Sound?

Post by peteharman1 » June 7th, 2021, 9:55 am

I heard a bird or birds along the Anthill Trail between Rainy-Wahtum and Herman Creek and then again in Cedar Swamp on the Herman Creek Trail. It seemed like it was a songbird, but the call was a long, drawn-out single tone that at times sounded like multiple tones simultaneously.

I would recognize it if I heard it again, but I don't have the right vocabulary to describe bird calls.

Does this ring a bell?

adamschneider

Re: Deep Forest Bird Sound?

Post by adamschneider » June 7th, 2021, 10:36 am

Was it this sound?

peteharman1

Post by peteharman1 » June 7th, 2021, 10:59 am

Yes, exactly! I've seen Varied Thrush in my yard before, but wasn't familiar with the call.

Thank you!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 7th, 2021, 11:52 am

Now that you mention it, I've seen them in my yard too, but I never hear them in the city. Maybe they come down from the mountains in the winter, and that's not the season for them to be making noise.

Someone on here said they call them "one-note birds," which I've adopted.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 7th, 2021, 1:21 pm

It looks like you have your answer, but this is another call that I hear in that area.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

naturallog

Post by naturallog » June 7th, 2021, 1:34 pm

Thrushes really know how to create ambience.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » June 7th, 2021, 9:43 pm

I hear the varied thrush in my yard in beaverton, often after it rains. I never actually see them in the yard though. Thanks for identifying that.

The Swainsons I hear frequently in the forest. Makes me feel like I’m in a weird alternate reality or possibly a holodeck forest simulation. Now I know what it’s like to be an Earthling!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 8th, 2021, 5:40 am

I think maybe I hear the varied thrush often when camping in the wilderness. From far away. Just the long note.

I've always thought it sounded like a Loon, but I'm pretty sure there aren't Loons everywhere I go

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 20th, 2021, 5:58 pm

yes, I've always thought of that thrush call to be a "metallic" sound, like someone blowing a metal whistle.