What is this tower?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
johnspeth

What is this tower?

Post by johnspeth » April 21st, 2021, 4:57 am

20210420_115446.jpg
Cloud Cap Inn tower
I saw this near the Cloud Cap Inn along the road between the inn and the Tilly Jane guard station. What is it? And what is the function of those hanging panels that ring the top?

RobFromRedland

Re: What is this tower?

Post by RobFromRedland » April 21st, 2021, 5:22 am

I can't answer what the hanging panels are, but it is a rain gauge typically used for snotel sites. Here is a link describing a similar one:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/a-A ... _248344779
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 21st, 2021, 5:29 am

maybe it keeps the wind from blowing snow in from the side. You only want to measure snow that falls vertically. You don't want drifts inside the device

I've looked at that one between Tilly Jane and Cloud Cap, I probably have a picture of it somewhere

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 21st, 2021, 5:55 am

Now that you know what it is, you'll start seeing them everywhere.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27812&view=unread#unread

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » April 21st, 2021, 6:15 am

Thanks for the confirmation. Google confirms it's a SNOTEL precipitation gauge. More googling took me to the most excellent DIY Santiam Pass Ski Patrol weather site. It speculates about the hanging weather vanes:

"To reduce wind effects, a "calming device" of hanging vanes surrounds the collection funnel. It helps somewhat to reduce horizontal wind velocity, but is primarily intended to reduce updrafts. Since the collection funnel is many feet above ground level, wind currents not present at the ground might otherwise tend to blow lighter precipitation (e.g. snow) past the sensor."

What is obviously missing is the myriad of other SNOTEL components (antenna, other gauges, power source). That's another mystery.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » April 21st, 2021, 11:26 am

Had to pull it from google's cache, but this is a good page describing the other components:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 23rd, 2021, 11:51 am

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir