more berry ID

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Post Reply
pcg
Posts: 265
Joined: May 31st, 2011, 7:46 pm
Location: Chehalem Mountain

more berry ID

Post by pcg » October 13th, 2018, 8:11 am

On BC west coast. They tasted good so...
retired jerry wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 4:57 pm
I ate them and survived.
Any idea what this is?
P9230397.jpg

User avatar
retired jerry
Posts: 12280
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Re: more berry ID

Post by retired jerry » October 13th, 2018, 8:24 am

The ends of the berries look like huckleberries, but the leaves are totally different

Did you eat any?

Some berries, like Oregon Grape or Salal won't hurt you but they don't taste good

pcg
Posts: 265
Joined: May 31st, 2011, 7:46 pm
Location: Chehalem Mountain

Re: more berry ID

Post by pcg » October 13th, 2018, 8:44 am

retired jerry wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 8:24 am
Oregon Grape or Salal won't hurt you but they don't taste good
I actually like them both, though OG can be a bit tart, like blue elderberry. Salal taste wonderful to me, but are a bit leathery. I eat them in pancakes. :D

User avatar
adamschneider
Posts: 2776
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Location: SE Portland
Contact:

Re: more berry ID

Post by adamschneider » October 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm

Definitely currants. Probably stink currant (Ribes bracteosum).

User avatar
adamschneider
Posts: 2776
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Location: SE Portland
Contact:

Re: more berry ID

Post by adamschneider » October 13th, 2018, 4:36 pm

pcg wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 8:44 am
I actually like them both, though OG can be a bit tart, like blue elderberry. Salal taste wonderful to me, but are a bit leathery. I eat them in pancakes. :D
"A bit tart"?! Oregon-grapes are one of the sourest things I've ever tasted. :shock:

I've heard that if you make jam out of salal, you can add a few OG berries to liven it up a bit.

pcg
Posts: 265
Joined: May 31st, 2011, 7:46 pm
Location: Chehalem Mountain

Re: more berry ID

Post by pcg » October 13th, 2018, 5:19 pm

adamschneider wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm
Definitely currants. Probably stink currant (Ribes bracteosum).
Thanks Adam!

pcg
Posts: 265
Joined: May 31st, 2011, 7:46 pm
Location: Chehalem Mountain

Re: more berry ID

Post by pcg » October 13th, 2018, 5:21 pm

adamschneider wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 4:36 pm
pcg wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 8:44 am
I actually like them both, though OG can be a bit tart, like blue elderberry. Salal taste wonderful to me, but are a bit leathery. I eat them in pancakes. :D
"A bit tart"?! Oregon-grapes are one of the sourest things I've ever tasted. :shock:
:lol:

User avatar
CyrusK.
Posts: 13
Joined: November 27th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Re: more berry ID

Post by CyrusK. » November 29th, 2018, 3:54 pm

adamschneider wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm
Definitely currants. Probably stink currant (Ribes bracteosum).
Another possibility is the flowering currant, Ribes Sanguineum. Both have berries with a powdery light blue coating.
Cyrus "Ice" K.

User avatar
adamschneider
Posts: 2776
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Location: SE Portland
Contact:

Re: more berry ID

Post by adamschneider » November 30th, 2018, 7:11 pm

CyrusK. wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 3:54 pm
Another possibility is the flowering currant, Ribes Sanguineum. Both have berries with a powdery light blue coating.
Red-flowered currant has much "rounder" leaves.

User avatar
CyrusK.
Posts: 13
Joined: November 27th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Re: more berry ID

Post by CyrusK. » December 1st, 2018, 9:37 am

adamschneider wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 7:11 pm
CyrusK. wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 3:54 pm
Another possibility is the flowering currant, Ribes Sanguineum. Both have berries with a powdery light blue coating.
Red-flowered currant has much "rounder" leaves.
Ah you’re right
Cyrus "Ice" K.

Post Reply