Wasp?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
derwoodynck

Wasp?

Post by derwoodynck » August 5th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Spotted this as we were preparing to cross East Fork Canyon Creek in the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness on 7/25. It has some nice color but it was also quite large. Anyone know what it is?

adamschneider

Re: Wasp?

Post by adamschneider » August 5th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Wow, cool beans. Might be a wasp, or it might be a fly pretending to be a wasp... or maybe a sawfly — they're in the ant/bee/wasp family.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 5th, 2018, 7:08 pm

It looks like one of the giant ichneumons (Megarhyssa sp.). They are a family related to wasps, but they don't sting. The females have the longest ovipositors related to body size in the insect world - I think I see it in the picture stretching behind its rear end.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 5th, 2018, 7:12 pm

bobcat wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 7:08 pm
It looks like one of the giant ichneumons (Megarhyssa sp.). They are a family related to wasps, but they don't sting. The females have the longest ovipositors related to body size in the insect world - I think I see it in the picture stretching behind its rear end.
We have a winner! I tried browsing ichneumon wasps earlier but didn't find a match. Narrowing it down to Megarhyssa made it easier: it appears to be Megarhyssa nortoni.

derwoodynck

Post by derwoodynck » August 6th, 2018, 9:45 am

Thanks for solving that mystery.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 6th, 2018, 8:07 pm

He's pretty darn cool. Great find.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

derwoodynck

Post by derwoodynck » August 7th, 2018, 5:42 am

adamschneider wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 7:12 pm
bobcat wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 7:08 pm
We have a winner! I tried browsing ichneumon wasps earlier but didn't find a match. Narrowing it down to Megarhyssa made it easier: it appears to be Megarhyssa nortoni.
I had emailed OSU as well as posting here and heard back from a faculty research assistant who also identified it as a Megarhyssa nortoni.