ID this flower?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
VanMarmot

ID this flower?

Post by VanMarmot » May 10th, 2018, 5:32 am

Found on open, rocky slopes near the PCT in the Soda Mountain Wilderness. Low-growing with lobate leaves.

adamschneider

Re: ID this flower?

Post by adamschneider » May 10th, 2018, 8:46 am

Brandegee's spring-beauty, Claytonia saxosa. They used to think it only grew in California, but there's a couple of spots in SW Oregon where you can find it. (Let me guess, was this on the west side of a small knoll a quarter-mile south of Soda Mountain Road?)

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 11th, 2018, 5:46 am

adamschneider wrote:
May 10th, 2018, 8:46 am
Brandegee's spring-beauty, Claytonia saxosa. They used to think it only grew in California, but there's a couple of spots in SW Oregon where you can find it. (Let me guess, was this on the west side of a small knoll a quarter-mile south of Soda Mountain Road?)
Great! Thanks! I was looking in Oregon flora atlases and didn't think to check California's. I came across a small patch of these while going cross-country on the southwest side of Point 5403 just south of the PCT (about 3 miles SW of Soda Mountain and 2.5 miles N of California).

slorimer3

Post by slorimer3 » May 16th, 2018, 7:59 am

Beautiful flower and picture! How was it down in the Soda Mountain Wilderness? I'm planning on heading that way for Memorial Day Weekend. I've only been there in late summer/ fall, so I'm hoping to catch it while it's green :)