Odd Items in the Forest near Huxley Lake

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Sugar Pine

Odd Items in the Forest near Huxley Lake

Post by Sugar Pine » May 6th, 2018, 7:50 pm

We hiked to Huxley Lake from the Lookout Springs TH. Decided to make a lollipop loop by heading over to road 4612-016. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 398759.pdf
Didn't find that road, but as we headed up to 4612140 we found some old rusty tools in a tree stump and some new looking plastic pipe connected to some trees. Also, what appears to be a camera pointing at the trees. Any idea what these are?
Attachments
IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3519.JPG
IMG_3518.JPG
IMG_3517.JPG
IMG_3516.JPG

RobFromRedland

Re: Odd Items in the Forest near Huxley Lake

Post by RobFromRedland » May 7th, 2018, 4:34 am

The photos are too small to see much detail, but other than the trail cam (which I've run into before - hunters I'd assume), I'm guessing the others are all forms of hillbilly/redneck engineering. For what purpose I'm not sure, but I've seen some weird things in the woods before.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

pcg

Post by pcg » May 7th, 2018, 5:40 am

Sugar Pine wrote:
May 6th, 2018, 7:50 pm
Any idea what these are?
No idea, but soon the people responsible for whatever is going on there will be looking at their photos of you and wondering who you are and what you were up to.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 7th, 2018, 6:24 am

I think it would be worthwhile to report that site to law enforcement.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 8th, 2018, 6:49 pm

trail cams are also used by people that like to take pictures of animals :)

lock is off on the trail cam? You could have just looked inside

plumbing - something to do with drugs?

report to Forest Service? They have law enforcement officers

pcg

Post by pcg » May 9th, 2018, 5:50 am

retired jerry wrote:
May 8th, 2018, 6:49 pm
lock is off on the trail cam? You could have just looked inside
That trail cam is in a lockable security box. No point in looking inside because you can see the camera is there. All that would do is leave a photo/video of you opening someone else's property. This is an older model Stealth Cam and some of them have wireless capability, meaning as soon as a photo/video is taken it is transmitted via cell phone.
retired jerry wrote:
plumbing - something to do with drugs?
I'm guessing not. My understanding is that what one usually finds in that instance is irrigation tubing.
retired jerry wrote:
trail cams are also used by people that like to take pictures of animals :)
I use a game camera to observe local wildlife, but I occasionally capture photos of trespassing humanoids on my property. Mine is well hidden because I don't want it stolen.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 9th, 2018, 7:30 am

I frequently car camp

I should get a trail cam and see which animals visit me during the night when I'm asleep

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 10th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Slightly off-topic, but I've seen a tremendous amount of tubing, empty fertilizer bags, and crude abandoned campsites scattered around the gorge. I'm amazed people aren't more discreet. You'd think they'd at least carry out the empty fertilizer bags, and strip away the tubing when they're done. It could be argued that once they're gone, they don't care, but the evidence they leave behind (over and over) would seem to announce to the world "hey, we're repeatedly growing weed out here in this general vicinity". Or maybe it's watermellon, who knows.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 11th, 2018, 3:24 am

Any signs of that going away post-legalization?