Goat Rocks Peaks ID

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
drm

Goat Rocks Peaks ID

Post by drm » October 4th, 2017, 6:31 am

Taken from the northeast side of Mt Adams (trip report pending). Am I right that Old Snowy is the pointy on on left and Gilbert Peak is the dominant one on the right?

adamschneider

Re: Goat Rocks Peaks ID

Post by adamschneider » October 4th, 2017, 7:37 am

Nope; I checked in Google Earth. What you've got there is Gilbert Peak and the ridge to its NW that's labeled "Goat Rocks" on the USGS topo maps. Ives Peak and Old Snowy are off-screen to the left. [EDIT: my bad.]

Last edited by adamschneider on October 4th, 2017, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 4th, 2017, 7:41 am

drm wrote:Am I right that Old Snowy is the pointy on on left and Gilbert Peak is the dominant one on the right?
Old Snowy on left, Ives Peak on right...
  • capture.png
https://caltopo.com/view#ll=46.2333,-12 ... 72,-358.07
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 4th, 2017, 7:52 am

Oops. Karl is right. The only thing I had correct was that the group of peaks in the photo are closer together than Gilbert & Old Snowy are.

drm

Post by drm » October 4th, 2017, 8:38 am

Thanks Karl. So I guess this broader picture that I'm not using in the report has Gilbert on the right, partially hidden.
goatrockspeaks.jpg

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 4th, 2017, 9:33 am

drm wrote:Thanks Karl. So I guess this broader picture that I'm not using in the report has Gilbert on the right, partially hidden.
Depends on how you define "Gilbert." If it includes the entire massif from from the head of the Cispus River on eastward, then yes.

But the part visible in your photo behind the trees is the ridge that says "YAKIMA CO/LEWIS CO" on the map; Big Horn and then Goat Citadel are on the far right of the photo. (Pretty sure I'm not screwing it up this time. :) )

Here's a photo of Big Horn on summitpost.org: http://www.summitpost.org/big-horn-is-t ... oint/40129

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 4th, 2017, 9:58 am

drm wrote:Thanks Karl. So I guess this broader picture that I'm not using in the report has Gilbert on the right, partially hidden.
To me, it appears that photo is cropped at the red lines here, and Gilbert would still be off-frame to the right...
Attachments
Capture.PNG
https://caltopo.com/view#ll=46.2333,-121.4627&e=30&t=&z=7&c=-1.84,4.16
Karl
Back on the trail, again...