So, Whose is this?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
K.Wagner

Re: So, Whose is this?

Post by K.Wagner » September 13th, 2017, 10:30 am

Ok, I'll take that as reasonably authoritative! I learned something, because I never would have associated that with a goat. According to a hunter I talked to, he had seen a goat earlier, so they are in the area.

I'm going to have to credit a bear for the first one also. There were only a few berries still around, and it was obviously from a "high fiber" diet!
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 13th, 2017, 10:41 am

K.Wagner wrote:Ok, I'll take that as reasonably authoritative! I learned something, because I never would have associated that with a goat. According to a hunter I talked to, he had seen a goat earlier, so they are in the area.
I've seen quite similar in areas without (to my knowledge) goats, so elk can't be entirely ruled out, either. (See Google Images.) Deer also produce similar, but smaller, output too. I tend to think of it as possibly a result of dehydration?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

bobcat

Post by bobcat » September 15th, 2017, 11:11 am

I'm 95% certain on bear for the first two and goat on the third.