Is this a Native American pestle/grinding stone?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Mossy

Is this a Native American pestle/grinding stone?

Post by Mossy » August 8th, 2016, 11:55 am

Found this halfway down a rock slope in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness. It's relatively flat, about 15" wide overall. The circular indentation appears to be perfectly round. I'm wondering if there is a natural cause for this - erosion or some geological process when the rock was formed that would cause a circular depression.
Attachments
Rock.jpg

kepPNW

Re: Is this a Native American pestle/grinding stone?

Post by kepPNW » August 8th, 2016, 12:07 pm

Mossy wrote:I'm wondering if there is a natural cause for this - erosion or some geological process when the rock was formed that would cause a circular depression.
I've seen similar features in streambeds, where a rock gets caught in a swirling eddy, and drills a "pothole." Can't imagine that happening on the side of a volcano, though! Sea urchins also drill into rocks, making circular depressions. Again, not usually on a volcano (or that large!).
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Chip Down

Re: Is this a Native American pestle/grinding stone?

Post by Chip Down » August 11th, 2016, 7:52 pm

From your photo, I surmise it was just among other rocks. If it was a tool/implement used by natives, one might expect it to be near an area that looks more habitable. Anyway, cool find, and I'd be curious too if I encountered that.