Plants!

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Bosterson

Plants!

Post by Bosterson » August 4th, 2015, 10:17 pm

Seen in Eagle Cap recently:

Some sort of wild chive - I recognized it by the flowers. The stem was solid rather than hollow (like garden chives), but I picked a grass frond from it and it smelled just like a garlic chive you'd get at the farmers market.
chives.jpg
Something from the mint family. This was all over the hillsides in various stages of its life cycle. The young (greener) ones smelled more like peppermint, the middle age ones more like spearmint, and the (yellowing) older ones more herbal.
mint.jpg
Don't know what this is, but it grows in a big bush like manzanita and has a lovely smell like eucalyptus (not like that, but it's the word that comes to mind) that takes me back to growing up in central California, where it definitely also must live.
unknown.jpg
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

adamschneider

Re: Plants!

Post by adamschneider » August 4th, 2015, 10:20 pm

The first one's an onion; how tall was it? If it was more than a foot, then it was almost definitely Pacific onion (Allium validum).

The second one is probably nettle-leaf horse-mint (Agastache urticifolia).

The third one is a ceanothus, most likely snowbrush (Ceanothus velutinus). All the ceanothuses (ceanothi?) have smelly leaves.