Looks like phlox... kinda..?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Splintercat

Looks like phlox... kinda..?

Post by Splintercat » July 2nd, 2008, 9:07 am

I ran across a nice drift of these beautiful flowers while exploring an odd corner of Viento State Park the other day. They were growing in an open, dry meadow and were about 24 inches high, with dusty gray/green foliage. The flowers look like phlox blossoms, with five petals in radial arrangement.

Am I on the right track in IDing these? Haven't found them so far in my wildflower guides.

-Tom

Splintercat

Re: Looks like phlox... kinda..?

Post by Splintercat » July 2nd, 2008, 9:30 am

Okay - found one possibility: rose campion, an introduced species that has naturalized. The guidebook photos look similar on the blossoms, but not the stems, however... :?:

-Tom

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » July 3rd, 2008, 12:12 am

I'd agree with it being Rose Campion. I saw some at the trailhead to Robinson Lake in the Mt. Washington wilderness a couple years ago.
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » July 4th, 2008, 9:19 am

That, sir, is indeed Rose Campion, or Lychnis coronaria, and one of my favorite quick-spreading xeric perennials. Has it naturalized out here? Groovy!
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plan ... ?code=P840

(Professional Personal Gardener and Landscaper)

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/