Wildflower ID help please!

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Cattrapper

Wildflower ID help please!

Post by Cattrapper » July 1st, 2008, 1:41 pm

I fould these flowers on a trail at the Natural Lava Bridges along FR 24 West of Trout Lake. I think they're a type of Phlox, but not sure. Any help IDing them would be great, thanks!
Attachments
Untitled-Scanned-09.1.jpg
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

Splintercat

Re: Wildflower ID help please!

Post by Splintercat » July 2nd, 2008, 9:28 am

At first glance, it looks like spreading phlox - but I can also see both 5-petal and 6-petal blossoms, and they are shaped a bit differently than what I know as spreading phlox. I'm sure a better flower expert will figure this one out! :)

Cattrapper

Re: Wildflower ID help please!

Post by Cattrapper » July 2nd, 2008, 1:28 pm

Splintercat wrote:At first glance, it looks like spreading phlox - but I can also see both 5-petal and 6-petal blossoms, and they are shaped a bit differently than what I know as spreading phlox. I'm sure a better flower expert will figure this one out! :)
Spreading or Longleaf Phlox were my first thought, but I'm not very confident about either. I don't know if you saw it, but there's even at least one flower with only 4 petals. It's to the lower right of the 2 dried up flowers.
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall