Alpine Bird?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Splintercat

Re: Alpine Bird?

Post by Splintercat » August 26th, 2014, 5:38 pm

That's it! Audubon got right on this, Waffle -- here's their reply:
This is a horned lark, a wintertime migrant to our area -- it likely arrived pretty recently. Interesting note: The Portland area has a year-round resident population of streaked horned larks, which look similar to horned larks and are a threatened species.
Looked this up on the Cornell ornithology site and came up with:
Look carefully at a bare, brown field, especially in winter, and you may be surprised to see it crawling with little brown shapes. When they turn, you may see a neat yellow face, black mask, and tiny black “horns” waving in the breeze. Horned Larks are widespread songbirds of fields, deserts, and tundra, where they forage for seeds and insects, and sing a high, tinkling song. Though they are still common, they have undergone a sharp decline in the last half-century.
Their very generalized range map shows them wintering from the Cascades west and breeding in summer in Canada tundra/steppe terrain - so maybe the east slope of Mount Hood is for lazy larks who want their romantic tundra just a bit closer to winter range...? ;)

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Tom :)

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 26th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Very interesting information. I have only seen a horned lark once and it was at Tom McCall preserve. It had a nest and was doing it's broken wing act to draw me away. Who would have thought they would be on Hood.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 27th, 2014, 1:01 pm

I haven't seen a horned lark on the slopes of Mt. Hood, but they are common in the open country of the east Gorge, especially the Washington side. They stake out their territories in the spring in places like Coyote Wall and the Columbia Hills.

miah66

Post by miah66 » August 27th, 2014, 5:05 pm

I spotted these same guys running around up on Mcneil Pt on Sunday. I wasnt sure what they were either b/c i initially thought "Kildeer", but then, "naaah! Not on Mt. Hood?" Cool!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 29th, 2014, 7:10 pm

The Oregon Bird Atlas says there are a few nesting pairs above Timberline Lodge.

The Cornell site is deceptive. We have breeding larks in the Willamette Valley (endangered subspecies) and east of the Cascade crest. Other subspecies migrate into the area in the cold season.