Switching to digital

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
pdxgene

Switching to digital

Post by pdxgene » June 19th, 2008, 9:03 pm

Well at some point soon I'm going to have to make the change. It sounds like a lot of places are going to stop in house film processing. I know Fred Meyer is and that's where I get all mine done.
So has anyone had any experience with the Pentax K-10D? I know it's a little more spendy but I really like the Pentax brand and don't really want to change. Plus with the new K20 on the market the price seems to be coming down on the 'old' model.

Billc

Re: Switching to digital

Post by Billc » June 20th, 2008, 11:44 am

I have used Pentax film cameras for years so I went with a K 100d and can still use all of my old lens. It takes great pictures and is light weight. The shake reduction is in camera so my oldes lens work with it including my 500mm mirror. I can hand hold shots that don't seem posible. I wanted the K 100d over the K 10d so that I can use AA batteries but I loose some of the weatherproofing, nothings perfect.
Bill

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 20th, 2008, 12:19 pm

General suggestions re camera, 1 1/2 years after switching from film to digital:

A viewfinder (hard to find on digitals these days) is essential. In bright light the LED screen doesn't show up worth a darn. Try to find a camera that can use lithium batteries (lighter weight and last longer). Try to find one that has a power-saver feature that lets you turn off the LED screen and use the viewfinder. This feature is especially worthwhile if you want to go on long backpack trips without carrying a couple pounds of batteries.

Other than the way it eats batteries, I'm very satisfied with my Canon A710IS. I especially love the macro feature! I just wish I could use lithium batteries in it. Both the Canon web site and the instruction book say they're a no-no. It has lots of manual features which I'm still trying to figure out how to use. Stevefromdodge has the same camera.

paulh

Post by paulh » July 11th, 2008, 6:21 pm

I think that Pentax would be a good buy. I destroyed a Cannon Digital Rebel by taking it out in the rain. I am strongly considering the k10d just for the water resistance feature.

airdrum

Post by airdrum » July 12th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Pentax makes good cameras, including the digital line. If it is an option, strive to get a DSLR with some sort of automatic dust removal system. Especially being out doors and changing lenses, dust will absolutely ruin your day plenty of times if there isn't a dust removal system.
Andy

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 12th, 2008, 2:29 pm

Someone is still using an analog camera??? Amazining! :D

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 18th, 2008, 12:56 pm

The Shutterbug stores (but not their website) have the Pentax K110D advertised for $279 (Amazon.com has it for $599). No shake reduction but that's one heck of a savings. It is a refurbished body but the work is done by Pentax and it comes with a warranty so that should not be an issue. I've been watching for a couple years, Pentax products don't go on sale often...

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Pentax makes great products. My friend swears by his Pentax 35mm. I have a pair of Pentax binoculars. Very solid.