DSLR Carrying Systems

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
The C-Ws

DSLR Carrying Systems

Post by The C-Ws » August 25th, 2008, 6:38 am

I bought a DSLR a few months ago, and I'm still having trouble figuring out the best way to lug it on hikes. I can stuff everything in my pack, but then it's difficult for me to pull it out spontaneously. I tried a harness to suspend it in front, but it wasn't compatible with my camera case. Does anyone have some kind of a fool-proof system for carrying a DSLR?
Casey

pdxgene

Re: DSLR Carrying Systems

Post by pdxgene » August 25th, 2008, 7:30 am

I'm in the same situation. Mine seems to fit nicely into my waist pack with the lens attached and I'll just have to put the other stuff in there into my backback. But I had to work on the last few sunny days so I won't actually get to try it until a little later this week when the skies look more co-operative. I don't think a new camera is going to turn white/gray skies blue. And I hate conditions like today. It's not worth the gas money

OregonScrambles

Post by OregonScrambles » August 25th, 2008, 8:19 am

I've been carrying a d-slr or slr for years this way:

hook two lightweight carabiners to the shoulder straps right under the sternum strap. I then hook my camera bag - either an M-rock bag or Tamrac outdoor bag- to the 'biners using the loops at the top of the camera bag. The camera bag has my filters, extra battery, extra memory card, notebook and is handy enough that I can pull out my camera in seconds. I use this backpacking, hiking, and mountaineering.

I can send a photo with the set up if you PM me.

cheers,

bb

www.barbaraibond.com

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » August 25th, 2008, 6:37 pm

hi casey,

what camera did you get??
Jamey Pyles

The C-Ws

Post by The C-Ws » August 26th, 2008, 6:31 am

pyles_94 wrote:hi casey,

I got a Canon EOS Rebel XSI.
Casey

pablo

Post by pablo » August 28th, 2008, 5:54 pm

The C-Ws wrote:
pyles_94 wrote:hi casey,

I got a Canon EOS Rebel XSI.
Casey
After frying my Canon S3 the other day I bought one of these, a little bigger than what I'm used to. For a bag I got a Lowepro ex 140:

I haven't tried it in the field but it has belt loops so I'm hoping to wear it in front although it's going to be bulky. It has loops for straps that would work for the solution OregonScrambles mentions above using 'biners.

What lenses have you acquired? The kit lens is a little light on the zoom end - I purchased a wide-angle lense but now I wish I had gone with a zoom lens of some sort.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 28th, 2008, 6:46 pm

The bag Pablo has is similar to mine. Here's one of my secrets Casey. I pack my nice camera in my pack, safely in it's bag, and wrapped in a fleece (helps with shock absorption), but then I carry a less expensive camera in a regular shoulder camera bag. So I take two. The one I carry on front is a Kodak 7mp camera with a circular polarizer, and my DSLR (newly acquired!!) is the same as yours, and XSI (which is fantastic). With this set up, I rarely miss a good shot!
-Zach

The C-Ws

Post by The C-Ws » August 29th, 2008, 6:37 am

pablo wrote: What lenses have you acquired? The kit lens is a little light on the zoom end - I purchased a wide-angle lense but now I wish I had gone with a zoom lens of some sort.
I now have the kit lens (18-55mm), a 55-250mm telephoto, a 10-22mm wide angle (pricey, but worth it for the outstanding image quality), and a 50mm compact macro. I'm very happy with everything.

Day before yesterday I bought a very small bag to hold only my camera and the kit lens. I can carry this around my neck and get it out easily on the fly, and I keep my tripod and other lenses in my pack if I need them.
Casey