The Palouse

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
jley

The Palouse

Post by jley » August 15th, 2008, 11:23 am

I'm posting this on the photography forum page because this trip didn't really involve any hiking. A big draw for the Palouse is photography, and I thought those of you interested in photography might be curious. It's about a 6hr drive from Portland to the Palouse region. Early August is the harvest season for wheat, and we saw a good mix of harvested & unharvested fields.

Some general tips for photography out there is to focus on early morning & evening, when the light skips across the hillsides. If you want to get a different perspective, look for elevation. There are a few big hills that rise above the plains. Steptoe Butte is the most famous of these. Kamiak Butte is also good, but forested on top, which can interfere with views. Tekoa Mountain has a nice view, but the road up there isn't as good. There are a couple other minor buttes with views, but varying access. In general, there aren't a lot of hiking opportunities "in the fields" as they're all private property, but you could walk the roads, which see little traffic. You can cover a lot more ground with a car though... it just depends what you're looking for. Best advice? Just wander the backroads... there's all kinds of interesting stuff out there. A couple more photos are below. More are on my site at:
http://www.phlumf.com/photos/palouse/

View from Steptoe Butte:

Sunrise...

As for hiking out there, there are a few trails at some of the state parks, but nothing too long, or through the fields. It'd be neat if some property owners could get together and flag a route that followed a property line or something.

wheezer

Re: The Palouse

Post by wheezer » December 8th, 2008, 11:16 am

Nice! I love the Palouse - my youngest daughter graduated from WSU in 2007 which gave me two opportunities to visit each year - once in the fall for Dad's weekend and once each Spring for Mom's weekend. Steptoe and Kamiak Butte both have expansive views, but I'd have to say I prefer Kamiak Butte as you have to hike to get to the top of it and because it's a bit higher it has better, more varied views. I also like the view out east to the mountains beyond Moscow from the top of the library overlooking Martin Stadium. Fall's beautiful but late spring is equally so when everything is green and there's still snow in the mountains.

justpeachy

Re: The Palouse

Post by justpeachy » December 11th, 2008, 7:51 am

GREAT photos! Those are really beautiful! Another place to add to my must-go-there list. :D