Camera Recommendation for the Trail

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
forester

Re: Camera Recommendation for the Trail

Post by forester » July 30th, 2017, 10:10 am

I have an AW100 as well. It's not perfect, but it will take a drop and is waterproof. It also takes good pictures. I will never be able to take the same quality of pictures as the people with $5000 cameras and $2000 lenses who then spend hours on Photoshop. But, for the price and the convenience, the AW series is more than good enough to fill the needs of most.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 31st, 2017, 6:41 am

forester wrote:I have an AW100 as well. It's not perfect, but it will take a drop and is waterproof. It also takes good pictures. I will never be able to take the same quality of pictures as the people with $5000 cameras and $2000 lenses who then spend hours on Photoshop. But, for the price and the convenience, the AW series is more than good enough to fill the needs of most.
Let me add that I too used an AW100 & then an AW130 for several years and liked them a lot (there's now a W300 model). I switched to the Olympus TG-4 and then TG-5 because their software is more to my liking (personal preference thing). But I think any of these would do the trick if you want decent photos without lugging around a lot of gear.

Side story: We were hiking in Glacier one year (with the AW130 at that time) and a guy passed us carrying - with a shoulder strap - what looked like a Canon 5D(?) with a huge 70-200mm(?) lens and the whole set-up was banging on the rocks on the sides of the trail! He hardly seemed to notice or care - just bang, bang, bang with a ~$5,000 camera/lens combo. :shock: Amazing! I've always wondered what his photos looked like... :?

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » September 30th, 2017, 1:03 pm

This week there was a review in the Wall Street Journal of a revolutionary new camera--The Light L16. The camera looks to be about the size of a smart phone. It uses multiple lenses to create very high resolution photos. There is information about the camera, including a short video at the Light website. https://light.co/technology

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 30th, 2017, 3:16 pm

oldandslow wrote:This week there was a review in the Wall Street Journal of a revolutionary new camera--The Light L16. The camera looks to be about the size of a smart phone. It uses multiple lenses to create very high resolution photos. There is information about the camera, including a short video at the Light website. https://light.co/technology
Only $1950! With the way I tend to lose, drown, drop or otherwise destroy my cameras I should get two - just in case.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller