Loose memory card

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
drm

Loose memory card

Post by drm » September 17th, 2016, 5:47 pm

I bought a new Sony point and shoot a month ago or so and have run into a problem that some photos are not saving. When I open it up, the memory card is loose. It's gotten to the point where I try to check it regularly. If it is warning me that it can't save the photo (there is no internal memory), I'm not seeing it, but after taking a shot I normally just turn it off. The card is old, I think this is it's third camera, so maybe I will get a new one.

Has anybody ever heard of this?

Webfoot

Re: Loose memory card

Post by Webfoot » September 17th, 2016, 9:56 pm

I have not had that happen but I have had other things loose (SIM card, battery) and a shim usually takes care of the problem. If not there may be internal damage. Also make sure the contacts on the card and in the slot are clean; I use 99% isopropyl for that but there are specialty contact cleaners that presumably work somewhat better.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 21st, 2016, 8:00 am

It's probably time to get a new card, they should be replaced periodically anyway. If the new card is still loose then you have a problem with the camera.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

drm

Post by drm » September 27th, 2016, 8:40 am

I bought a new memory card but the same problem occurred on my recent trip to Jefferson Park. I kept checking the card and so could push it back in and take pictures again if I found it was loose. But I didn't always remember to check frequently enough, and so lost pictures that I took of a bear we saw. :x :cry: :x . But my hiking partner got some and had better zoom - it was hundreds of yards away.

So now I've got to get them to replace the camera.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 28th, 2016, 9:54 pm

Did a shim fail to work? Not that you shouldn't get the camera replaced, of course.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 29th, 2016, 7:16 am

If you are ever in Portland check out Advance Camera. Ask them to take a look. It may be something really simple.
http://www.advancecamera.com/
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir