Choosing a backpack for photography

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
Steve20050

Re: Choosing a backpack for photography

Post by Steve20050 » August 12th, 2016, 10:57 pm

[quote Steve20050 - I think this is something I would wanna do. Not sure about carrying a point on shoot in pocket for quick shots but definately get padded compartment. do you have any suggestions for those?

I have always liked the external pack frames. Most folks don't use these anymore, hence the joke about me getting the last Tioga style Kelty. I do think the frame helps with protection of the stuff inside. I used a Arcteryx internal frame pack while traveling in South America. A lot of travel is on buses and you just don't want an external frame pack. It can get snagged on too many things like others luggage. Same problem many see here on external frame packs. They can get snagged on tree limbs that jump out at you. :oops: So I do know the difference of these styles.

I don't do any extra padding to the pack. I use the middle compartment between the top loading compartment and the sleeping bag on the bottom. I have found that the soft cases for your lenses/ camera body are plenty of protection if you pack clothes in with this. I usually pack stuff like my nighttime poly thermals / and polar fleece pants that I'm not wearing during the day. The reason for the soft cases is that I do stop. Both because I need a break :) and or I do see something I'd like to capture with a photo. The soft cases just get tossed into my daypack with my tripod strapped on and off I go after stashing the pack if its any distance. Same with day hikes. I just toss these into my day pack. These soft cases are easy enough to find at photo shops. Decades? ago I had a girlfriend that made me some. I got some of that foam for matts and she got material and sewed these for me. They lasted forever. I have found I really was going overboard worrying about the equipment. I have dropped my pack on numerous occasions, usually on purpose, :shock: that's what a quick release is for right? :? I suppose you could say I have tested the titanium welds that Kelty was supposed to use.

General questions, for 1-2 nighters how much liter backpack is okay?[/quote]

Size matters? I suppose it does really matter who you ask. I have gotten older and those 90-100 lb. packs are half that now. So are the number of days out. More day hikes as well. So I haven't really cut the weight the way some folks here. I like extra food and clothes. Also have plenty of socks as Forest Gump was told. They double for me with my avocados for lunch. I stuff various ripened avocadoes into clean socks and they do ripen nicely. With pita bread, cheese, lettuce and tomato, well you get the point. I might suggest you get your supplies together with food and see whether you really want to carry all that. The store can help you with the rest by trying different packs. To me much of this stuff is answered when I go in and try several models, sizes etc.

pcg

Post by pcg » August 15th, 2016, 9:25 am

I prefer waist packs for hiking with a camera. Overnight stuff and stuff I don't need at short notice goes in my backpack. The two complement each other well as long as I shift the waist pack very slightly off center so that the rear buckle isn't pressed into my back by the backpack waistband. It sounds like it would be uncomfortable but in fact is just the opposite.
My tripod goes in a bag on the outside of my backpack. When I'm taking lots of photos in one area I drop the backpack and sling the tripod bag over my shoulder. I'm constantly on the lookout for a good fit for my camera gear and have cycled through waist packs from LowePro, Mountainsmith, Jansport, etc., and was never completely satisfied until I found the "Cabela's Deluxe Chest Pack", SKU# 03800437, on sale for $20! Regular price is $40, which is still a great deal.

I've used it heavily for over a year now and am very happy with it. I removed the chest strap and all the internal supports and padding as they are unnecessary and take up room. This allows it to hold my m43 camera with wide angle and tele zooms, plus lots of small accessories, headlamp, GPS, maps, note pad, etc., and room for snacks stuffed in the side pockets (shown empty here). Compass, cash, credit cards, etc. go in the belt zipper pouches.
Attachments
camera bag 2.jpg
camera bag 1.jpg

Tilldain

Post by Tilldain » September 19th, 2016, 3:34 pm

i opted for the Capture Pro by peak designs.

hooks right on my Aether 70 straps with the long screws or my day bag with the short screw they are a additional purchase though. the only down side is it offers very little protection from falls or weather. but when i am walking i dont even have to stop to grab my camera and snap a pic. im carrying a Nikon d80 with a 18-200 vr lens.

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/clips/capture/