Ex- Picasa users...

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
Koda

Re: Ex- Picasa users...

Post by Koda » August 9th, 2016, 11:03 am

Bosterson wrote:Try going here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
(That will only work if the browser you're in is signed into your Google account.)
Thanks for the link, it was easy enough to find them (I figured I just needed to log into Google…). Now ironically at first glance I like the layout of the photos, they simplified it. It doesn’t look like they will drop photo services so I probably don’t need to do anything with them. Perhaps pdxgene doesn’t need to find a new home for his photos now?

What I never could figure out back then was how to send a link to a photo or album while keeping mine private and not searchable. It seemed like unless the recipient was logged into Google they couldn’t open the link… I was always having that issue. A lot of my Picasa photos I had to leave public which bothered me to not have that choice. When they came out with Google+ I randomly discovered I suddenly had a(nother) social networking account and every time I uploaded a photo or new album in Picasa it was posting to my G+, one day I got some random comment. I had to “physically” go into Google and delete my G+ account and profile. That was why I left Picasa. I don’t see myself going back, but hoping that whatever changes they are making will let me once again use my old albums as needed….
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lurch

Post by Lurch » August 9th, 2016, 11:34 am

Koda wrote:
Bosterson wrote:Try going here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
(That will only work if the browser you're in is signed into your Google account.)
Thanks for the link, it was easy enough to find them (I figured I just needed to log into Google…). Now ironically at first glance I like the layout of the photos, they simplified it. It doesn’t look like they will drop photo services so I probably don’t need to do anything with them. Perhaps pdxgene doesn’t need to find a new home for his photos now?

What I never could figure out back then was how to send a link to a photo or album while keeping mine private and not searchable. It seemed like unless the recipient was logged into Google they couldn’t open the link… I was always having that issue. A lot of my Picasa photos I had to leave public which bothered me to not have that choice. When they came out with Google+ I randomly discovered I suddenly had a(nother) social networking account and every time I uploaded a photo or new album in Picasa it was posting to my G+, one day I got some random comment. I had to “physically” go into Google and delete my G+ account and profile. That was why I left Picasa. I don’t see myself going back, but hoping that whatever changes they are making will let me once again use my old albums as needed….
My understanding is that all Picasa albums got pushed into Google Photos, so you shouldn't have lost anything.

If you're in your GP account you can either share a single photo, or an album, and still keep the rest private. If you're in a single photo view, or a sub-album you can click the 'share' icon and say 'get link'. If you want to test what a random person will see you can always open up an incognito window and drop the link in

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 9th, 2016, 11:50 am

Lurch wrote:If you want to test what a random person will see you can always open up an incognito window and drop the link in
What an excellent tip! Boggles the mind it hadn't ever occurred to me before. So many uses. Thanks!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 10th, 2016, 6:42 pm

I guess I'll find out tomorrow night when I get home with some pictures. I always put all my individual hike days on photo cd's (it's only $3 and takes a couple minutes and this way I can always go back and watch any hike on tv or computer)and I had been on Picasa so long I had the grandfathered in rate of $5 year for more storage than I could ever possibly use. So I guess when I get home and pop the cd in tomorrow I'll go from there. I see Picasa3 as a program does still exist but the web albums got switched to Google.
I had kinda hoped they had just forgot the whole switching it thing. At least I wasn't the only one still even using it... :lol:

somegeek

Post by somegeek » June 15th, 2017, 8:17 am

One neat feature of google photos is the ability to search by photo content. Try typing in truck, red blanket, blue hair, bike, mountain, black and white, etc and it will pull up photos of yours with those objects in them or that fit that profile. Very useful when you have many photos.

I also use google drive and pay for 1 TB of storage. I have my images folder on my PC tagged as a Google Drive backup folder.
When I transfer photos from my DSLR to that directory on my PC, it gets automagically backed up in the cloud.