Free photography courses

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
jdemott

Free photography courses

Post by jdemott » June 18th, 2016, 12:48 pm

An occasional question on this forum is "how can I learn to take better pictures?" What better way than taking a course from a National Geographic photographer who has published many, many outdoor and wildlife photos from all over the world?

We've all seen ads for the video lectures sold by The Great Courses. Now The Great Courses are introducing a new online streaming service called The Great Courses Plus (www.thegreatcoursesplus.com) which offers unlimited streaming for a monthly fee. Currently there is a 30-day free trial, which is certainly long enough to watch a couple courses. (Disclaimer: I have no connection to The Great Courses.)

There are two courses (24 half-hour lectures each) on Fundamentals of Photography, taught by Joel Santore who has been photographing for National Geographic for 20 years or more. These courses have a minimal amount of technical content, so they are very accessible to anyone interested in photography. Most of the lessons deal with how to find and envision great photos--how to recognize good light, how to compose a good photo, and how to find and capture interesting subjects. Mr. Santore shows a lot of his own work from National Geographic along with descriptions of how he took the photos. The lessons also include many original videos "in the field" with demonstrations of various techniques and strategies for photography (sort of mini-workshops). Novices will find a wealth of information and even experienced photographers will find inspiration and useful tips.

rainrunner

Re: Free photography courses

Post by rainrunner » June 21st, 2016, 3:02 pm

The Washington County Library system has that series on DVD to check out.

They also have the masters of photography series from great courses.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir