Buying a new Superzoom camera—any recommendations?

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
SWriverstone

Buying a new Superzoom camera—any recommendations?

Post by SWriverstone » March 11th, 2016, 9:41 pm

I'm an experienced photographer/videographer. I've owned and used DSLR's for a long time (including during the film days). Maybe 10 years ago, I bought one of the earliest Canon "superzoom" cameras, the S2 IS. I loved this camera, and it totally sold me on the superzoom concept. I took thousands of amazing photos with this camera, and there was even a fantastic aftermarket, machined aluminum lens barrel for it that protected the telescoping lens.

Alas, one day several years ago I left this camera on top of a mountain on a mountain biking trip (I know stupid—I was exhausted near the end of an epic ridge ride.) For some reason, I never replaced it, going back instead to DSLR's.

Flash forward to now: I own 3 DSLRs (a Nikon D70, a Canon T2i, and a Canon 70D)...and I've barely used any of them for personal photography in years. They just sit at home. Why? The obvious reason—they're too damned big and heavy! I don't like hauling them on my motorcycle, my mountain bike, or even on my own two feet.

As a somewhat disappointing result (call it inertia), almost all my photography over the past few years has been with the camera that I've always had—my iPhone 5. I've always known that iPhone still cameras are mediocre (lousy in low light, crap telephoto ability, etc.) But they're convenient, and I always have mine. (I tried an iPhone 6 for a while—and thought it's camera was crap too, in spite of all the hype.)

So I've finally come to my senses and am going to buy another superzoom. I know I'll love it (regardless of what kind I get). IMO, superzooms are the greatest cameras on earth—first because of the zoom range, which you'd never get with a DSLR unless you spend $10,000 on lenses and have porters to carry them. But their quality is also very, very good. When it comes to shooting for on-screen viewing, they are (again, IMO) 100% equal to any DSLR. (And they'll still produce images that make pretty good prints.)

Their articulated LCD screens are incredibly versatile, they have a DSLR-style form factor and grip (just smaller), and they're much lighter than a DSLR.

Some might argue that the newest generation of micro four-thirds cameras are the best—but I disagree, for the same reason as DSLR's: you can't get the zoom range of a superzoom without spending a fortune on lenses.

And aside from being able to capture an astonishing variety of framings with a superzoom's enormous range...and aside from being fantastic for shooting wildlife...the greatest thing about that crazy-long zoom range is super-shallow DOF...giving you shots that look like they could have been made with fast DSLR prime lenses.

Anyway, I'll end the sermon in praise of superzooms, LOL. I'm really wondering who else here owns/uses one, and would you recommend yours?

Most of the big camera makers make at least one model (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic). I'll be heading over to dpreview.com to see what they have to say...but it's always good to hear from real users! :-)

Scott

kepPNW

Re: Buying a new Superzoom camera—any recommendations?

Post by kepPNW » March 12th, 2016, 10:01 am

That Cannon S2-IS was a nice one! My wife also bought that same one about a decade ago. I prefer the smaller form-factor for hiking. Currently on my fourth Panasonic Lumix, this one the DMC-ZS40, and (obviously) keep coming back for more. My two criteria are optical zoom and image stabilization. You can get a sense of my results from the Photos link in any of my posts. As for zoom...
    See the bird nest on that navigation structure in the lower-right? No?

Better now? :)
Priced as they are, the Lumix line is in the range I can consider "disposable" - I tend to wear them out every 10,000 photos (50-60 hikes) or so, which is the equivalent of adding a couple gallons of gas to the cost of the trip.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

SWriverstone

Post by SWriverstone » March 12th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Great demo of the zoom Karl! :-) And I wasn't even aware of the DMC-ZS40. That looks really nice, especially with the 24-720mm equivalent range. I'm also glad to see it has a viewfinder. For me, that's critical—I hate shooting in any conditions (but especially bright sunlight) by staring at an LCD on the back of the camera. (Do you use the viewfinder much on this one?) And RAW support-very cool!

Seems like the only thing you lose with the DMC-ZS40 is the articulating LCD. In spite of my comment above, I do find an articulating LCD to be great for shooting low-angle, camera-on-the-ground shots of flowers, etc.

Otherwise, DPReview's Superzoom Roundup just frustrates because all their top 5 superzoom models have pros and cons (true of anything I guess). I like the Canon SX60 (their "Safe Bet" winner)...but I also like that the Fuji FinePix S1 is weather-sealed.

Then again, I like the smaller size of the DMC-ZS40. Hmmm....choices!

And while I probably won't shoot a lot of video with whatever I buy, I'm a professional video producer...so it would bug me not to have full manual control over video (which it seems none of the superzooms but the Canon SX60 offer).

Scott

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 12th, 2016, 12:32 pm

SWriverstone wrote:Great demo of the zoom Karl! :-) And I wasn't even aware of the DMC-ZS40. That looks really nice, especially with the 24-720mm equivalent range. I'm also glad to see it has a viewfinder. For me, that's critical—I hate shooting in any conditions (but especially bright sunlight) by staring at an LCD on the back of the camera. (Do you use the viewfinder much on this one?) And RAW support-very cool!
I still haven't experimented with the RAW format on this one. Thought it would be nice to have, but seem to be stuck in old patterns. I don't use the viewfinder a lot, because I really can't see up close all that well without glasses (which I hate to hike with). But it does seem to help steady the camera at really slow exposures (sub-1/10). Did I mention IS? I am having fairly good luck hand-holding 1/10s shots with this one!
    Handheld at 1/5s, using just the LCD.
SWriverstone wrote:Seems like the only thing you lose with the DMC-ZS40 is the articulating LCD. In spite of my comment above, I do find an articulating LCD to be great for shooting low-angle, camera-on-the-ground shots of flowers, etc.
Yeah, I could see that being helpful. I'm more like this...
    First balsamroot of Spring, 3/4/16.
SWriverstone wrote:Then again, I like the smaller size of the DMC-ZS40. Hmmm....choices!
Yep! :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Limey

Post by Limey » March 12th, 2016, 7:04 pm

I have the Canon SX50 and I love it. Please click on the pics to enlarge. Can you see a nesting goose in the middle of this photo?
Tooth Rock (1024x575).jpg
Now you can see it.
Tooth Rock (2) (1024x575).jpg
This is not at full zoom. I am not a photographer so I generally just leave the camera set on auto, one of these days I'll try some manual settings. I didn't know they had come out with an SX60.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 12th, 2016, 11:48 pm

I borrowed a friend's super-zoom camera (Sony DSC-HX50) for a recent trip, and while it was fun to be able to zoom in on ridiculously distant things, the lack of an articulating screen really got on my nerves. Whenever I tried to use it at arm's length, the glare off the glass made it impossible to see what I was actually shooting.
Last edited by adamschneider on March 17th, 2016, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SWriverstone

Post by SWriverstone » March 13th, 2016, 6:35 pm

adamschneider wrote:I borrowed a friend's super-zoom camera (DSC-HX50) for a recent trip, and while it was fun to be able to zoom in on ridiculously distant things, the lack of an articulating screen really got on my nerves. Whenever I tried to use it at arm's length, the glare off the glass made it impossible to see what I was actually shooting.
You're absolutely right Adam! For me, an electronic viewfinder and an articulating LCD are a must. I can't believe so many cameras are made and sold these days with no viewfinder and a fixed LCD.

By the way, what camera do you use Adam? I was admiring your photography the other day—especially the flower shots! :-)

Scott

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 13th, 2016, 6:50 pm

SWriverstone wrote:By the way, what camera do you use Adam? I was admiring your photography the other day—especially the flower shots! :-)
I'm on my second Canon PowerShot G12. I like it because it's small enough that I can carry it around my neck all day and use it with one hand, but the sensor is a step up from most "point and shoot" models and it has a ton of mechanical controls (dials on top for exposure compensation and ISO, additional wheels on the front and back for aperture and/or shutter speed). I was really irritated that they dropped the flip-out screen from the G15 and G16, which is why I bought another second-hand G12 when my first one crapped out. Dunno what I'll do when this one dies and/or fills up with too much dust.

EDIT: I just discovered the Canon G5X. Hot damn, I think I found my next camera.

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » March 14th, 2016, 8:01 am

The new canon has a larger sensor, but this older Panasonic has a constant f2.8 through out it's 25 - 600 zoom range.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Digital Camera

It's replacement has 5 axis stabilization along with it's f/2.8 lens.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Digital Camera

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Digital Camera has a 1 inch sensor, but it's range is only 24-400 and is f/2.8 - 4, not a constant f/2.8

All three have Leica DC Vario-Elmarit lens, and shoot in RAW.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

SWriverstone

Post by SWriverstone » March 15th, 2016, 6:04 am

After checking out all the cameras linked above (which all look great), I found the successor to the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200, the Lumix DMC-FZ300. I think this is the camera for me: f2.8 throughout the entire zoom range, and weather sealed!

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about for a kicka$$ outdoor camera! :-) I love the external controls on the Canon GX5...but having a weatherproof camera with the capabilities of the FZ300 is awesome.

Scott