Which Camera?

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
Blind Faith

Which Camera?

Post by Blind Faith » December 8th, 2015, 11:04 am

My Fuji Finepix X 20 got a seal leak and died. The more I research a replacement the more cofused I get.I am shopping for a water proof point & shoot that can take video's and crisp clear photo's with a rechargeable battery and a reasonable zoom. Price range under $200. My Iphone 5s takes good pics. I am learning it is not all about megapixels. Anyone make a reccomendation? Durability is also important. Thanks. :D O one more thing. Needs to be easy to operate for a visually impaired person

sprengers4jc

Re: Which Camera?

Post by sprengers4jc » December 8th, 2015, 11:41 am

Others may have other suggestions but to be honest, I feel the camera quality on the iphone5 is superior to anything you could buy for under $200. Maybe just add a lifeproof case and a battery backup instead, and use that? Otherwise, I would recommend this Ricoh camera and that's a great price on the used one being offered.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 8th, 2015, 12:05 pm

I'd recommend (heartily) the Panasonic Lumix line, if it weren't for that waterproof requirement. You can get a darn nice refurb for under $200. Totally agree that megapixels are mostly meaningless, with a very few obvious exceptions.
sprengers4jc wrote:to be honest, I feel the camera quality on the iphone5 is superior to anything you could buy for under $200.
Unless zoom matters, perhaps. Dunno how it handles Image Stabilization, but I suspect at that wide-angle it may not be as big an issue.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

jdemott

Post by jdemott » December 8th, 2015, 1:56 pm

I don't know if you will find a truly waterproof camera for under $200--maybe one of last year's models on close out perhaps. Olympus TG-4 is about $300 and rated waterproof down to 50 feet and drop proof to 7 feet. Reviews have been pretty good, but none of the waterproof cameras perform as well as their comparably priced non-waterproof brethren. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/600032 ... g-4-review Last year's model was the TG-3

iPhones do a great job on color rendition and exposure processing and take surprisingly good photos given the very small size sensor they use. They are also very easy to use and have the huge advantage that they fit in your pocket and are always with you. But even a compact camera offers better quality and many more features. And I certainly wouldn't consider an iPhone to be rugged or waterproof.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 8th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Fujifilm FinePix XP60 is $200 and waterproof

I know little about cameras but my niece said it was good so I got one

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » December 8th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Olympus TG-4 $299 (under $200 for truly water & shock proof is unlikely)
Small, light, intuitive to use, good screen, waterproof, shockproof.
Shoots JPG and RAW files.
Can install a filter adapter if you want to use a polarizer.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » December 8th, 2015, 8:25 pm

If you like staying with Fujifilm, I would suggest an upgrade to your XP20, to a Fujifilm Finepix XP50. As an avid all season kayaker, hiker, hobby outdoor photographer and storm chaser, I use my XP50 in very wet weather times as well as if I go on long hikes, when I don't want to lug around my heavy DSLR and tripod. And I just checked the prices on Amazon which are under $200. I bought mine used off of Craigslist for $80 a couple of years ago and it performs like new. Here's a couple of pics that I recently shot with my XP50:
Fuji 1-1.jpg
Fuji 3-1.jpg
Hope that helps. :)