Image transfer to smartphone from a non-wifi camera

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
rainrunner

Image transfer to smartphone from a non-wifi camera

Post by rainrunner » September 2nd, 2015, 5:07 am

I recently purchased this cable from enu for $4.00 which allowed me to connect my non-wifi Canon Rebel T2i to a smart phone and transfer images. The smart phone is an android, and uses a google image transfer app that was already installed to do the transferring.

I just connect the micro usb side of the cable to the smart phone and the other side to the usb cable which came with the camera, turn on the smart phone, and then hit the image preview button on the camera, and wallah, the images show up on the smartphone and allows me to select which images I want to transfer.

Here is the link to enu
microUSB On the Go adapter

You can buy wifi cards, but they cost a lot and this is cheap.
Has anyone else come up with a way to transfer images which isn't too expensive?
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

sprengers4jc

Re: Image transfer to smartphone from a non-wifi camera

Post by sprengers4jc » September 2nd, 2015, 7:45 am

I am a little confused, though. Why would you want the ability to do this? I am trying to think of a situation where I would need to transfer images via wifi and can't come up with any :/.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 2nd, 2015, 8:48 am

sprengers4jc wrote:I am a little confused, though. Why would you want the ability to do this? I am trying to think of a situation where I would need to transfer images via wifi and can't come up with any :/.
On vacation without a laptop and you want to send photos to friends or post them online.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 2nd, 2015, 9:19 am

rainrunner wrote:The smart phone is an android, and uses a google image transfer app that was already installed to do the transferring.
Slick! What's the name of the app?
adamschneider wrote:
sprengers4jc wrote:I am a little confused, though. Why would you want the ability to do this? I am trying to think of a situation where I would need to transfer images via wifi and can't come up with any :/.
On vacation without a laptop and you want to send photos to friends or post them online.
Or even posting something other than a crappy cellphone shot from the summit!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Koda

Post by Koda » September 2nd, 2015, 9:54 am

I bet that app works fine but in every android phone there is a native file manager where you can cut/copy/paste anything anywhere in the phone or attached device with. No app required or maybe that is the app the OP is referring to?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Koda

Post by Koda » September 2nd, 2015, 10:10 am

rainrunner wrote: Has anyone else come up with a way to transfer images which isn't too expensive?
another cheap alternative is to buy a micro usb card reader adapter, im not certain if this has any advantages from your idea though…. It might be faster reading directly from the card?

I did something similar with my Android tablet so I could view photos from a trail cam while in the field, I had to buy a Samsung tablet USB adapter “dongle”+ a usb card reader. A little more expensive (~20 bucks) Advantages to doing this with a tablet is the larger screen size… I also figured out I can run a usb mouse on the tablet but that’s another subject.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

jessbee

Post by jessbee » September 2nd, 2015, 12:22 pm

kepPNW wrote: Or even posting something other than a crappy cellphone shot from the summit!
Just wait until you get home, OMG! :D
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 2nd, 2015, 12:54 pm

jessbee wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Or even posting something other than a crappy cellphone shot from the summit!
Just wait until you get home, OMG! :D
:lol: Yeah, Payslee will typically respond, "Hang up and hike, already!" :mrgreen:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » September 2nd, 2015, 3:50 pm

The program on the phone is google camera importer.

I wanted to transfer pictures to a smartphone so I could post on Facebook and Instagram or email to Ann's dad. While camera phones are good, they can't match what you can get out of a dslr and lens. We usually post when we are out backpacking and want to share with others (if we happen to be in an area with coverage like the spurs on Mt Hood).
Yes, we could wait until we get home the next day or the next week depending on the length of our trip, but it is nice to share the beauty we see in a timely manner.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir