Favorite lenses for landscapes?

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
AAdamsPDX

Favorite lenses for landscapes?

Post by AAdamsPDX » June 23rd, 2015, 8:50 pm

I finally broke down and have been selling my heavy Canon system in exchange for a lighter, mirrorless Fuji. I'm now rebuilding my lens collection and have the opportunity to rethink some of the focal lengths I've used for years.

Of course, the classic landscape lens is a wide angle - but I find I also like a longer focal length sometimes to (for example) make faraway mountains look in photos as big as they feel in real life, and just generally for that "compression" feel that you can't get by cropping in tight after the fact.

So I thought I'd take a poll - what are your favorite focal lengths when shooting all those great trip report photos you post here? (Even if you don't have a camera with interchangeable lenses - in what range do you usually find yourself shooting?) I realize this is a highly personalized decision but it's always fun to have an excuse to talk photography! :D
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

kepPNW

Re: Favorite lenses for landscapes?

Post by kepPNW » June 24th, 2015, 4:47 am

I just use "disposable" PnS things, with lots of optical zoom. But, it just struck me the other day, probably >80% of all my shots I never zoom at all. Power on, point, shoot! I guess that's the nature of landscapes, so to speak. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » June 24th, 2015, 10:03 am

kepPNW wrote:But, it just struck me the other day, probably >80% of all my shots I never zoom at all. Power on, point, shoot!
I know, isn't it funny?! The most important thing is just to have the camera and use it, regardless of how fancy it is (or not!). I've been shooting with my iPhone on recent backpacking trips just to cut weight - while I'm often frustrated by its inability to freeze even the slightest motion (say, wildflowers in a slight breeze), I'm also often surprised by the quality of images I can get with just a little patience.

Still, I also like to challenge myself by trying out different focal lengths. When I had all my Canon lenses I used to purposely leave my favorite lens at home sometimes so that I had to try something different - it made me look at things in a different way.

Also, selling my gear has given me some cash to play with, and I'm finding it goes further with the mirrorless systems - I'm having fun researching options and really thinking about the way I shoot and the way I WANT to shoot!

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » June 24th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Like you, I ditched my heavy DLSR gear for a mirrorless system. I went to a Sony A6000 for hiking. Using a handy plug-in tool for Lightroom, I get this distribution:
Thanks,
Mike J

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » June 24th, 2015, 1:30 pm

I used a 24-35 for years that I thought did a great job. I could get in close for subjects focused as well with the wider angle. Today, I still just shoot 6X7 format film and just use the standard 80mm lens that is considered normal. What I do is take a number of exposures and splice them in Photoshop. These programs are really pretty good these days, so I'm able to get what I want without doing it in the field, other than covering more of the view than I need. The draw back is the tripod you need to carry to keep your horizontal plain. As mentioned some of the phones can do a lot now days. The panoramas included, as I used a friends one day and was surprised. Though I couldn't get a 750mb photo to make a 4 foot print from it ;) .

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 24th, 2015, 4:22 pm

Are you planning on sticking with Sony's line up of lenses or use an adaptor?
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » June 24th, 2015, 8:26 pm

mjuliana wrote:Like you, I ditched my heavy DLSR gear for a mirrorless system. I went to a Sony A6000 for hiking. Using a handy plug-in tool for Lightroom, I get this distribution:
I seriously considered the A6000 (as well as a used A7) but all the Fuji nuts won me over to their side. Probably can't go wrong either way.

And...WOW. Love the graph! I wonder if Bridge has a similar tool. I'm one of the weirdos with the Bridge-Photoshop workflow. It would be cool to map out my personal photo history. Time to do some Googling.
Steve20050 wrote:What I do is take a number of exposures and splice them in Photoshop. These programs are really pretty good these days, so I'm able to get what I want without doing it in the field, other than covering more of the view than I need. The draw back is the tripod you need to carry to keep your horizontal plain.
I've also been amazed at splicing tools and I've used them more and more to compensate when I don't have an extra-wide handy.

The tripod is the issue, though, as I'm not planning to take a heavy pod with me while backpacking and I'm trying to land on the "perfect" lens (I know, there's no such thing!) for our summer jaunt in the Sierras....

Always assuming the whole state of California isn't on fire before we head down there.... :?

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » June 24th, 2015, 10:15 pm

I'm using a Pentax K5iiS after my K30 recently bit the dust. :cry: But I'd say 75% of my shots are at between 18-24mm but mostly, I use my kit lens and it only goes as wide as 18mm. Next purchase will be either a Sigma 10-20mm or Pentax 17-70mm to give me a bit more reach for my macro shots. MY ideal lens would be a 10-500mm f2.8 that weighed under a pound and cost under $200 :P.

Interesting tool there, Mike. I use Photoshop so can't use that plugin but the results are intriguing.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

scole

Post by scole » June 25th, 2015, 12:24 pm

Speaking as a fellow Pentax shooter, I really love the Pentax 12-24 for my ultra wides. The second lens in my bag is the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4. You might want to consider that one instead of the Pentax 17-70. First, thd Sigma does have a macro mode on it and second, the wide end is f2.8 so it is fast enough for use with star photography at night. I will not that manually focusing it at night can be finicky but it is a "do all" type of lens.

The last lens in my bag is the original DA55-300 tele. Maybe I should have bought the new weather resistant version that came out not too long ago but it has been a pretty good performer.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » June 25th, 2015, 12:28 pm

scole wrote:Speaking as a fellow Pentax shooter, I really love the Pentax 12-24 for my ultra wides. The second lens in my bag is the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4. You might want to consider that one instead of the Pentax 17-70. First, thd Sigma does have a macro mode on it and second, the wide end is f2.8 so it is fast enough for use with star photography at night. I will not that manually focusing it at night can be finicky but it is a "do all" type of lens.

The last lens in my bag is the original DA55-300 tele. Maybe I should have bought the new weather resistant version that came out not too long ago but it has been a pretty good performer.
Thanks, Steve! I will look into those two, for sure. I have a Tamron 70-300mm but it struggles. Luckily, I don't really need a birding lens or that would already have been replaced, as it is super frustrating and so loud it scares wildlife lol.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown