Favorite lenses for landscapes?

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
Hotspot

Re: Favorite lenses for landscapes?

Post by Hotspot » June 26th, 2015, 6:10 am

I have a nikon d3300 and by far the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 is my favorite, producing awesome wide angled shots (here's an album of Yosemite high country camping from last month http://imgur.com/a/9xGt0#0). I also lug around a 18-250mm Sigma that's been a decent filler. Wasn't planning on going Nikon but the price was too good to pass up and I've been quite happy so far.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » June 26th, 2015, 9:08 am

I found myself reaching for my 200mm as often or more often as my 20mm for some interesting perspectives across canyons, gorges, streams, etc. I can link you to some examples of telephoto nature shots I have if you would like to see them.

I used to barely support myself through photography and I now refuse to carry a tripod into a hike because it's a hike, not a photo expedition. I shoot hikes exclusively on my iPhone which does a surprisingly good job and you can see most of my photos on my hike/photo blog http://kunamakst.com

I still own my Pentax 67 and would love to have someone carry it and the tripod around for me while I shoot.
- Michael

Charley

Post by Charley » June 26th, 2015, 1:08 pm

I think that the above chart (neat!) really sums up my work as well. It's either my 28mm or my 100mm. That said, since I've been focusing less on sweeping vistas and more on simpler, more graphic photographs, I've switched to carrying a normal and a long. The longer lenses tend to be sharper, too, which is a big concern with 35mm film. I used a 1970's Pentax 50mm and a similar aged 100mm macro. I've also started using a 40mm pancake recently. It's super light and the shots are fairly sharp.

Using 100 speed Velvia film, I'm either going all out and setting up the tripod or taking "record" or "narrative" shots without the tripod. For the record shots, I'm using the 28mm exclusively, because of camera shake with the 100mm.

I know this might raise eyebrows, but there's lots of good advice on Ken Rockwell's webpage. Not all of his advice is good, but there are some gems in there. The great irony is that his website is devoted to camera reviews, but the central message of his photography advice is not to worry about the camera. If you can get past that apparent contradiction, you'll likely find something on his site that's useful to you!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » June 28th, 2015, 8:58 am

Hotspot wrote:...(here's an album of Yosemite high country camping from last month http://imgur.com/a/9xGt0#0)....
Very cool - thanks for sharing these!
aiwetir wrote:I found myself reaching for my 200mm as often or more often as my 20mm for some interesting perspectives across canyons, gorges, streams, etc. I can link you to some examples of telephoto nature shots I have if you would like to see them.
I would love to see some examples, yes! I used to lug around my 70-200 f2.8 for my Canon and loved using it to "see" the world in a different way. I still love the effect of telephoto photography and the immediacy it gives to nature shots. Not sure that's exactly the right word, but maybe you'll know what I mean. However, with the Canon system and my aging knees and wanting to be able to hike farther and faster, it just wasn't feasible to continue hauling it around. Now I have a lighter camera, I'm hoping I can broaden my range again!
aiwetir wrote:I shoot hikes exclusively on my iPhone which does a surprisingly good job and you can see most of my photos on my hike/photo blog http://kunamakst.com
Nice shots! I've also been shooting with my iPhone and I'm also pretty happy with the results. But I do love the option to make wall-sized art with my hiking memories and the iPhone doesn't give me that.
aiwetir wrote:I still own my Pentax 67 and would love to have someone carry it and the tripod around for me while I shoot.
:lol: That would be living the dream, eh?!
Charley wrote:I used a 1970's Pentax 50mm and a similar aged 100mm macro. I've also started using a 40mm pancake recently. It's super light and the shots are fairly sharp.

Using 100 speed Velvia film, I'm either going all out and setting up the tripod or taking "record" or "narrative" shots without the tripod. For the record shots, I'm using the 28mm exclusively, because of camera shake with the 100mm.

I know this might raise eyebrows, but there's lots of good advice on Ken Rockwell's webpage. Not all of his advice is good, but there are some gems in there. The great irony is that his website is devoted to camera reviews, but the central message of his photography advice is not to worry about the camera. If you can get past that apparent contradiction, you'll likely find something on his site that's useful to you!
Ah, film....You're making me remember my days shooting with a Minolta SRT 101 and a 50 mm. Loved that camera to pieces. And yes, I've read a lot of Ken Rockwell's stuff while prepping for the camera switcheroo. I found his writing not only informative but also entertaining.

I agree with the basic premise about not worrying about the camera (and know it's possible to get gorgeous shots with a point-and-shoot - Karl, I'm looking at you!). I also confess to a pixel-peeping addiction and a love for a certain "quality" in a photo. It's why I went with the Fuji. The Velvia you mention...looking at Flickr galleries of folks using Fuji X cameras - they just had that "quality."

Whether it matters to anyone else or not when they see my photos, that particular feel inspires me to go out and photograph, which is the real point anyway I guess.
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » June 28th, 2015, 9:05 am

I just pulled my first test shots off my Fuji and I'm in love. Clearly I need to practice with the focus because this image isn't focused on what I intended to focus on (the bee!), but I love the bokeh, the color...everything. Straight out of the camera, with no processing whatsoever except to size it down for posting here. (Fuji X-E2 with a 35 mm f1.4, shot wide open.)
Test_0003_sized.jpg

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » June 28th, 2015, 11:09 am

Looks great! Congrats on the acquisition of a new 'baby' for your household :D.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » June 29th, 2015, 8:07 am

sprengers4jc wrote:Looks great! Congrats on the acquisition of a new 'baby' for your household :D.
Thank you! It does have the feeling of a new "baby". Excitement and trepidation combined. :D

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » June 29th, 2015, 11:19 pm

AAdamsPDX wrote:I would love to see some examples, yes! I used to lug around my 70-200 f2.8 for my Canon and loved using it to "see" the world in a different way. I still love the effect of telephoto photography and the immediacy it gives to nature shots. Not sure that's exactly the right word, but maybe you'll know what I mean. However, with the Canon system and my aging knees and wanting to be able to hike farther and faster, it just wasn't feasible to continue hauling it around. Now I have a lighter camera, I'm hoping I can broaden my range again!
Here's about a dozen photos all taken with a 200mm or greater lens. I think the Yellowstone may have been 300mm or 420mm or even more. I have a habit of going to a very specific place where people are photographing a very specific thing and taking photos of something completely different. (like I skipped the waterfall at Artist's Point, or the Grand Canyon one, and I did take photos at Mesa Arch, but more people seem to like the Washer Woman photo in this collection)

http://pdxvr.com/other/oh/
- Michael

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » June 30th, 2015, 10:41 am

I now mainly use my Sony Nex5T mirrorless with it's 16-50 mm while I am hiking, once I stop I at my destination, I use my Sigma 19mm 2.8 lens for landscape and night shots.
I also use my Canon Rebel T2i on occasion and my Sigma 18 - 250 mm while I hike and then my Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 when I stop at my destination and night shots.

The sharpness for the Sigma 19 and Tokina 11-16 are very close, but I do like the Tokina because it is a lot wider and a bit more versatile with the zoom.

I shoot in Raw + Jpeg and use Lightroom and Photoshop CC. ($9.99 per month with upgrades)
I also have the google nik collection software and use the noise program from that)
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » June 30th, 2015, 12:53 pm

aiwetir wrote:Here's about a dozen photos all taken with a 200mm or greater lens. I think the Yellowstone may have been 300mm or 420mm or even more. I have a habit of going to a very specific place where people are photographing a very specific thing and taking photos of something completely different. (like I skipped the waterfall at Artist's Point, or the Grand Canyon one, and I did take photos at Mesa Arch, but more people seem to like the Washer Woman photo in this collection)

http://pdxvr.com/other/oh/
Thanks so much for sharing! I love a lot of these - I think especially the ones taken on the Olympic Peninsula and in the Gorge. They have that "immediacy" I've missed since I sold my 70-200: the way only a telephoto can collapse distance and make the experience of viewing the photo start to match the experience of being present in a landscape. (The way things feel so large, and layered.)
rainrunner wrote:I now mainly use my Sony Nex5T mirrorless with it's 16-50 mm while I am hiking, once I stop I at my destination, I use my Sigma 19mm 2.8 lens for landscape and night shots.
I also use my Canon Rebel T2i on occasion and my Sigma 18 - 250 mm while I hike and then my Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 when I stop at my destination and night shots.

The sharpness for the Sigma 19 and Tokina 11-16 are very close, but I do like the Tokina because it is a lot wider and a bit more versatile with the zoom.

I shoot in Raw + Jpeg and use Lightroom and Photoshop CC. ($9.99 per month with upgrades)
I also have the google nik collection software and use the noise program from that)
Thanks for the input! Right now I'm torn between getting Fuji's 10-24 or the 14 mm prime. The prime is lighter and less expensive and I already have a 35 mm (equivalent to a 50 mm on a "full frame" or film SLR). But the 10-24 gives more flexibility. Eventually I'd like to add a longer prime but for starters I want the wide and the "normal" capability.

I also have the Adobe subscription - I've been tempted by the Nik software but so far haven't done much about it. :)