Favorite lenses for landscapes?

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
sprengers4jc

Re: Favorite lenses for landscapes?

Post by sprengers4jc » June 30th, 2015, 4:42 pm

Thanks for the input! Right now I'm torn between getting Fuji's 10-24 or the 14 mm prime. The prime is lighter and less expensive and I already have a 35 mm (equivalent to a 50 mm on a "full frame" or film SLR). But the 10-24 gives more flexibility. Eventually I'd like to add a longer prime but for starters I want the wide and the "normal" capability.

I also have the Adobe subscription - I've been tempted by the Nik software but so far haven't done much about it. :)
Yeah, go with the 10-24. Flexibility is so important if you are only carrying one lens, and that could be a really nice walkaround for you :).
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » July 2nd, 2015, 12:53 pm

I'd go super wide zoom for a first lens purchase and then with my particular experience go with a 200mm, but that's just me. I have a lot of issues surrounding photography. :lol:
- Michael

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » July 2nd, 2015, 8:59 pm

aiwetir wrote:I have a lot of issues surrounding photography. :lol:
Right there with you! :D
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » July 3rd, 2015, 10:30 am

aiwetir wrote:I'd go super wide zoom for a first lens purchase and then with my particular experience go with a 200mm, but that's just me. I have a lot of issues surrounding photography. :lol:
My problems with super wide and landscapes is that you will be unable to get the near foreground out of your photos many times. Granted there are plenty of times you want the foreground for your composition. However, I'd at least go with a wide angle zoom or (super wide zoom) as above, to bring the background in closer and eliminate the foreground you don't have use for. I would not just go buy a fixed super wide without checking these out at a store. Be sure your going to be happy with the purchase and actually use the thing. As above we all have out own particulars.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » July 3rd, 2015, 1:15 pm

Steve20050 wrote:My problems with super wide and landscapes is that you will be unable to get the near foreground out of your photos many times. Granted there are plenty of times you want the foreground for your composition. However, I'd at least go with a wide angle zoom or (super wide zoom) as above, to bring the background in closer and eliminate the foreground you don't have use for. I would not just go buy a fixed super wide without checking these out at a store. Be sure your going to be happy with the purchase and actually use the thing. As above we all have out own particulars.

Try shooting a fisheye one day, you'll be surprised how often your feet make it in the photos.
- Michael

NW Yeti

Post by NW Yeti » July 3rd, 2015, 8:02 pm

:) This is a pretty cool post! My most used lens is the Sigma 18-70mm and a Tamron 100-300mm, for a Sony Alpha a580 (comparable to the Canon 60D). I do use a 500mm prime but that piece of glass is so long and heavy, I have to rent a mule to pack it for me. When I have a wee bit more $$, I'd like to get a 16mm wide angle prime. Did you get a Fuji X100t? I actually love Fujifilm's cameras! I use a Fujifilm Finepix XP50, which is waterproof, when I kayak (which is every other day) and a Fujifilm Finepix S8300 for birding.
Hiking is never about the destination, it's about the adventure!!!