Looking for camera replacement recommendation

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
Guy

Re: Looking for camera replacement recommendation

Post by Guy » March 15th, 2015, 4:55 pm

kepPNW wrote:Is there a "standalone" battery charger, or does this one require a USB slow trickle? (The need to use the camera itself as a charger is almost a deal-killer for me.)

Thanks!
I've found that you can get these Wasabi after market batteries for just about anything!

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-SP-7 ... bi+battery

I use then in my Sony HX400, Go Pro & Chiyoko's Lumix, in all case they last slightly longer than the brand name batteries that came with the cameras.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kepPNW

Re: Looking for camera replacement recommendation

Post by kepPNW » March 16th, 2015, 4:56 am

kelkev wrote:That is a great price for the extras included! Unfortunately, this is a "charge in camera" USB that seems to be the norm these days - - and it's a proprietary USB cord (included), not the standard mini-usb. But mine seems to charge reasonably quickly; I do know that you can buy a standalone LI-50B battery charger, either Olympus brand (expensive) or a decent aftermarket one (like Upstart or Wasabi) for a lot less $.

For the money, it's a great compromise of size, performance, decent photo quality.
Guy wrote:I've found that you can get these Wasabi after market batteries for just about anything!

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-SP-7 ... bi+battery

I use then in my Sony HX400, Go Pro & Chiyoko's Lumix, in all case they last slightly longer than the brand name batteries that came with the cameras.
Thanks, Kevin and Guy! That price falls into what I call the "disposable" range. I'm just like Don, in that I tend to go through a camera a year or so. Looks like I could snag a charger, and even more batteries, pretty reasonably. Strongly considering this one.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...