Got an app for that?

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
RobFromRedland

Re: Got an app for that?

Post by RobFromRedland » August 10th, 2014, 7:35 pm

kepPNW wrote:Seems like I tried Picasa once, and got frustrated with it. Maybe for the very same reason I never took to Lightroom. They both attempt to "manage" your photos for you, right? As I recall, Picasa wanted to catalog everything before I could do anything, which seemed very presumptuous.

But, I do have it, and I think I'll fire it up again, too, just to be sure I'm not misremembering. :)
Well, when you import your photos, it asks you to put your photos in an album, but other than that, I don't think it does anything to "manage" them. It does allow you to seamlessly upload to the picasa web site (which I don't use) - I basically use it to organize them and edit them. Once I've done that I upload them to my web photo site.

It works well for me, but YMMV.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

kepPNW

Re: Got an app for that?

Post by kepPNW » August 11th, 2014, 12:15 pm

Well, I just tried Picasa and it totally barfed trying to catalog all my photos, and then managed to lockup Google Earth with fine efficiency!

So, next I tried Lightroom (5.2), and it seems to work really well at finding the coordinates. What I can't figure out is how they actually get written into the file? The photo is showing up precisely where it should on the map within Lightroom, but if I query the file with exiftool no coordinates are found. (I'm not finely attuned to Adobe-Thought!)

EDIT: Got it! This'll work! Thanks much, all. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...