Sony NEX-5T

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
rainrunner

Sony NEX-5T

Post by rainrunner » July 21st, 2014, 1:21 pm

I got the Sony NEX-5T (mirrorless slr) from B & H Photo for our Yosemite backpack trip. I wanted to drop some weight, and this camera with battery and lens weighs just under 16 ounces, which is a lot lighter than my Canon Rebel T2i and 18-250 lens.
I took it on our Yocum Ridge backpack trip for the first time and has so-so results (IMHO).
I was able to correct the images in my lightroom 5 program, but the images right out of the camera seemed to be a little harsh, though I was using superior auto mode as I was hiking. It could have just been the harsh lighting on the hike. I did like the images I got from my night photography.
The main drawback is the short battery life, but I knew that coming in and also purchased two extra batteries and an external charger.
This camera is last years version and at a good price at B & H, this years versions of this camera (a5000 and a6000) have better battery life, but I would have to get the a6000 to get the same features as this and that camera is still somewhat expensive for what I was looking to pay.

The features I like are the 10 frames per second shooting, the 16-50 mm lens (24-75mm equiv), the large sensor (1.5 crop), tilt lcd screen, HDR, a built in leveling indicator ( which is great for landscape in uneven terrain and night photography) and sweep Panorama.
It also has Wi-Fi NFC capability which lets you instantly connect to smartphones and tablets, but since I don't have a smart phone, I don't think I'll use that feature.

Overall I think this camera will workout well.
Attachments
Tent at night.jpg
Top of Gnarl Ridge
Ramona Falls.jpg
Using variable ND filter f/8, 8 second exposure, 100 ISO
Last edited by rainrunner on August 11th, 2014, 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

forester

Re: Sony NEX-5T

Post by forester » July 21st, 2014, 6:20 pm

Make it waterproof and I'll buy one. 8-)

arundodonax

Re: Sony NEX-5T

Post by arundodonax » July 21st, 2014, 8:57 pm

forester wrote:Make it waterproof and I'll buy one. 8-)