New Camera Equipment and lenses? RAW vs. jpeg? Polarizer?

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
Naturebat

New Camera Equipment and lenses? RAW vs. jpeg? Polarizer?

Post by Naturebat » July 10th, 2014, 3:42 pm

I bought a new camera, a Canon EOS Rebel T5i, and it came with two lenses, an EFS 18-55mm and an EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II.

This is the kit I bought:
http://www.costco.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T ... 57275.html

I'm not too familiar with photography, but I believe that the 18-55mm is a normal lens and the 55-250 is a telephoto lens. Am I correct?

What camera accessory is the most important to get?
I am thinking that the things I need to get are:
  • A new Tripod to replace a broken one
    Wide angle lens
    Polarizer filter
    Camera Stabilizer (for filming)
    Backup battery pack. (I have 2 right now.)
What should I prioritize? I am thinking that the Polarizer is the most important...

Wide Angle Lens:
And should I then buy a wide angle lens too? I am going hiking this weekend to Mount St. Helens (Coldwater Peak hike), Mount Adams (Bird Creek Meadows/Hellroaring Canyon via Cold Springs), and Mount Rainier (Tolmie Peak / Spray Park Hike), and I want to get the best possible photos and videos of these locations, as I won't be hiking them twice this year. ;)

.jpeg vs. RAW:
Should I shoot in jpeg or RAW format? I take a LOT of pictures, 1,500 or more, but I have a 32 GB, 16 GB, and 4 GB Platimun II SDHC memory cards. I know RAW takes more memory, but is it worth it, and will I have enough GB for lots of pictures in RAW format?

Battery Life:
Also, I have 2 battery packs that came with the kit, but that isn't enough usually to last a day hike, much less a backpacking trip. :shock: What methods do you guys use to prolong battery life? Should I invest in buying more battery packs? They cost between $25 to $60, depending on the brand. Power2000 appears to be the cheapest, while Canon brand batteries are the most expensive.

Should I stop using the screen to take pictures, and use the viewfinder "eyepiece" instead? Because when I try that, it seems that
the image quality isn't as good (gets blurrier).

I'm very new at photography, so any tips would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks!!! :)
- Previously ElementalFX

retired jerry

Re: New Camera Equipment and lenses? RAW vs. jpeg? Polarizer

Post by retired jerry » July 10th, 2014, 4:13 pm

If you shoot pictures in format that requires more memory, and you copy them all to your PC that has a smaller hard disk (for example 200 GB), then you will fill up your hard disk.

I have a 1 TB USB hard disk which is a partial solution.

You could take pictures in format that requires more memory, store them to hard disk, maybe decide to lower the picture size on camera in the future if you're consuming too much memory

(I just have point and shoot and am having this problem)

Zia

Post by Zia » July 10th, 2014, 4:34 pm

I am not a pro, just an amateur hobbyist but if you have any interest in post photo processing in programs such as photoshop etc, you will want RAW files. If you don't have any interest in doing that, jpeg is fine. I have the t3i and I have no issues with battery life. I don't shoot video however and I don't use the lcd screen when taking pictures. I'd say use the camera a bit, see how the battery works out and then decide. As for wide angle lens, there are some that are wider than 18mm but they can be pretty spendy.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 10th, 2014, 5:57 pm

YES! Get a polarizer! It makes colors bright and vivid and you won't regret the money you spend on it.

For some locations you will definitely want a wide-angle lens, but you won't need it everywhere you go. The example I always use is this: when you're on some butte in the Cascades and you can see volcanic peaks in both directions, you don't want a wide-angle lens. The peaks will just be little white blips in the picture. However if you're someplace like the Eagle Cap Wilderness and you've got those towering granite peaks that are right in your face, the only way to really capture them is with a wide-angle lens. In my opinion it is a must-have lens for landscape photography. (Don't forget a polarizer for this lens too. It will be expensive but very much worth it.)

I almost never shoot RAW. If you shoot RAW you have to spend time on your computer processing your photos. That is time I just don't have, so I usually shoot in JPEG. If you have the time and inclination, then by all means, go with RAW. You will get a higher-quality photo with RAW, but you can still get great quality with JPEG, and if you're not planning on making your living as a photographer then RAW may be unnecessary.

As for batteries, you are probably fine with two or three. I have a Nikon, not a Canon, but I imagine the experience can't be that much different. With my Nikon D90 I can usually rely on one single battery for an entire week-long trip. I DO have a backup battery, but I almost never need to get it out (and I take A LOT of pictures; 1,500 photos on a weeklong trip to Big Sur in the spring). The exception to this if you planned to do a whole bunch of long exposures. That eats up battery life faster.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » July 11th, 2014, 7:11 am

Unless you've got some very specific uses in mind, your 18-55mm lens is pretty wide in comparison to most. I've rarely had problems with mine not being wide enough, and if you're looking to do panoramic then stitch the photos after the fact?

One of the few places I would say you legitimately need a lens wider than 18 would be if you're doing 360 shots to create 'streetview' type bubbles... then by all means

jdemott

Post by jdemott » July 11th, 2014, 7:46 am

I believe that the 18-55mm is a normal lens and the 55-250 is a telephoto lens. Am I correct?
When photographers compare focal lengths, they often refer to the standard focal lengths for 35mm film cameras, which provides a consistent frame of reference for the field of view you will get with a particular lens. On your camera, you need to multiply the focal length of the lens by about one-and-a-half to determine the "standard" focal length, so your 18-55mm lens is about 27 to 82mm. Wide angle is usually thought of as about 24 to 35mm...wider than 24mm is ultra wide. Telephoto starts somewhere around 75mm. Normal focal length refers to the field of view comparable to the human eye--somewhere in the 45 to 55mm range. So your 18-55mm zoom includes the normal range and has modest wide angle and telephoto capabilities.
What camera accessory is the most important to get?
Since you are serious enough to be investing in a DSLR and accessories, I'd say the most important thing you should think about is some sort of learning tool to acquaint yourself with your new equipment and how to use it. Depending on how you learn, you might want to buy some books, take a course at community college, or attend a workshop.

For photography while hiking, I'd rank the polarizer first of the accessories you mention, and then a tripod. Be aware that you need what is called a circular polarizer (this doesn't mean the shape of the filter) and that you want one that will not vignette your image on wide angle shots. Also be aware that different lenses can require different sized filters (or require an adapter).

A few years ago, I would have ranked the tripod ahead of the filter, but with fast ISO speeds and modern image stabilization, you can get decent shots in a lot more situations without a tripod.
And should I then buy a wide angle lens too?
The 18mm setting on your current lens should be fine for a while. If you find that you are using that setting a lot and always wishing for a wider setting, then you can think about another lens.
Should I shoot in jpeg or RAW format?
I think your camera will allow you to save images in both formats simultaneously, which is the best option. Memory cards are cheap--get as many as you need. Getting the very best results means shooting RAW and learning how to process them using a program like Lightroom. Even if you only spend the time on a few of the very best shots, shooting in RAW gives you the option to fix or improve those photos you care about.
What methods do you guys use to prolong battery life? Should I invest in buying more battery packs?
Two batteries should be enough for most people for a day's shooting. Do you usually shoot 1500 in a day? That is a lot--and you might need more batteries. The thing that really burns the batteries is using the LCD screen, either to shoot or to review photos after the shot, so make sure your settings turn off the screen quickly after each shot and try not to spend unnecessary time looking at the photos in the field.
Should I stop using the screen to take pictures, and use the viewfinder "eyepiece" instead?
Definitely use the viewfinder most of the time. Most people are much better able to hold the camera steady with the camera held to the eye and arms held close to the body. Once you learn where your camera controls are, you should be able to manipulate the basic controls without taking the camera away from your face.

TJ_T

Post by TJ_T » July 11th, 2014, 1:24 pm

I could never explain in as much depth and organization as John above so ditto on everything he said.

If I WERE to offer some advice.. I would suggest shooting both raw and jpg. That way you have the easy to share copies. If you ever have a favorite photo that you've taken and later wish to edit it using the knowledge you've gained along the way.. you will have the raw to do it with.

Memory is cheap. You can get 32gb cards for $16 if you look in the right places. If you retain your raw file you will have 16 bits of data (think # of tonal ranges) as opposed to 8 with jpg. This will lead to a higher quality photo if you ever decided to process it and print it.

This is one of the things I wish I had done when I first started shooting.

Good luck!
I take pictures sometimes. And sometimes I post them here:
http://www.tjthornephotography.com
and
http://500px.com/TjThorne
and
https://www.facebook.com/tjthornephotography

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » July 11th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Agree with all of the above. I will also say that my friend has the T4i and finds that his flash is constantly popping when it isn't needed. Many of his photos with big skies get washed out as a result so never rely on the auto mode. The flash as well as using the LCD will totally eat up your batteries. I use a Rebel at work and find that the battery can last at least 400-600 pictures by avoiding doing those two things. Canon makes a great product and you should be very happy with this camera.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » July 11th, 2014, 2:48 pm

Polarizers are good but you should be aware that at focal lengths of less thn about 28 mm you are likely to get color variations in the sky. This color shift tends to increase as the focal length decreases.
As you go forward you will no doubt want to get some photo processing software. Canon Digital Photo Professional (wilh an instruction manual) should have been included on a CD with you camera. The current edition works pretty well for RAW images. Not so well for JPEG. There are lots of choices for JPEG and you might want to ask Portland Hikers for recommendations in a separate post.
Whatever you decide upon, you should not neglect getting a comprehensive instruction manual to tell you how to use the software.

Zia

Post by Zia » July 11th, 2014, 5:45 pm

I agree with everyone else, I'd shoot in both RAW and JPEG if you can afford the space. I do. I like to be able to fiddle around with the pictures I like the best, to see if I can make them better, etc.
jdemott wrote:
For photography while hiking, I'd rank the polarizer first of the accessories you mention, and then a tripod. Be aware that you need what is called a circular polarizer (this doesn't mean the shape of the filter) and that you want one that will not vignette your image on wide angle shots. Also be aware that different lenses can require different sized filters (or require an adapter).

A few years ago, I would have ranked the tripod ahead of the filter, but with fast ISO speeds and modern image stabilization, you can get decent shots in a lot more situations without a tripod.

Do you have a certain brand of circular polarizer that you prefer?