file size for posting photos

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
outdoorfoodie

file size for posting photos

Post by outdoorfoodie » July 3rd, 2014, 10:23 pm

Newbie here. I'm having trouble posting photos to the site - they are timing out. I thought maybe it was because tif files were too large, but jpgs aren't working either. Are there some sizing specs I should know about?

Steve20050

Re: file size for posting photos

Post by Steve20050 » July 3rd, 2014, 11:50 pm

The size I believe needs to be under 1mb to upload. I shoot film so store a lot of tiff files. Usually I just decide how many pixels across I want them to be for viewing, then convert them to jpeg (necessary) and compress them to a size under 1mb and they will upload. There are many folks here better at this than I am, but this is the basics. It will just take a little practice to find what you like. I do a lot of panoramas so my files tend to be longer in pixels than other folks and my files are from 500mb to 1.5 gig, so really a bit larger than normal. Most of my uploads are usually 1000 to 1200 across when resized, though I think that most folks use 600 or so across, however not positive on this. Upload a few and see what you like when opened. Some of mine have been pretty bad, but it's like anything it just takes some practice and if you don't like what you see there is always the edit button ;).

Peder

Post by Peder » July 4th, 2014, 1:27 am

Using the site's picture system, the maximum picture size is 1 mb and a maximum of 20 pictures in a post. If you upload your pictures to Flickr, there is no size limit and you can easily post an unlimited number of big beautiful pictures in your trip report! There is a thread at the very top of the Trip Report forum on posting pictures from your computer, maybe that can help.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

outdoorfoodie

Post by outdoorfoodie » July 4th, 2014, 7:12 am

Thanks! I do have my photos on Flickr, so I will play around with that when I have some time. I was using the forum post you mentioned as my guide, but didn't read down far enough to see that there were also instructions for embedding from Flickr. I am a newbie at that too, but I think I should be able to figure it out.

Should I be using the BBcode (whatever that is) when I share from Flickr?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 4th, 2014, 7:56 am

outdoorfoodie wrote:Should I be using the BBcode (whatever that is) when I share from Flickr?
Pretty much, yeah. (The BB in BBCode comes from the ancient "bulletin board" systems used by codgers pre-web.) This site displays photos at a maximum width of 800 pixels, so find the closest offering to that among the choices if you want to show them off to the max. Here's a post where I sort of broke down the process:

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 60#p142260

I probably ought to poke that into the permathread you were also pointed to. HTH!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Peder

Post by Peder » July 4th, 2014, 8:05 am

The code looks something like this: Image

Hit "quote" (bottom right below post) to see the codes (also for this picture from Flickr).
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

outdoorfoodie

Post by outdoorfoodie » July 4th, 2014, 5:31 pm

Thanks so much Karl

outdoorfoodie

Post by outdoorfoodie » July 4th, 2014, 9:03 pm

outdoorfoodie

Post by outdoorfoodie » July 4th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Wow, my test worked. Thanks guys. Now I need to work on the captioning bit. If I do it this way it just embeds directly, and I don't need to use the "attach" function right?

Took this shot a couple weeks ago in the Trinity Alps. Long Canyon, Four Lakes Loop, from the ridge behind Deer Lake