Tripod Help

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
forestkeeper

Tripod Help

Post by forestkeeper » April 8th, 2014, 7:22 pm

Hey everyone. Hope you are enjoying this awesome Spring weather. I presently use a Manfrotto 290 with a Classic head. I found it on special last year at ProPhoto NW for $135. It doesn't have a bad height (62 inches), but I'm 6'4" tall so I have to stoop a lot which does a number on my back, especially when shooting wildlife. But my biggest problem is that it's not sturdy enough. It wobbles back and forth, so I have to use a remote or the 10 second timer a lot. The 2 second timer is not long enough for it to quit moving. I even hang my Tamrac camera backpack on it but it still moves until I let it stop moving on its own. I also think I need a pan head because I upgraded to a Sony a580 that shoots Sweep Panos and video.

Any ideas? My dollar limit is about $350.

Thank You!!!
Will

TJ_T

Re: Tripod Help

Post by TJ_T » April 8th, 2014, 7:44 pm

A lot of people I know swear by the Manfrotto O55XPROB tripod legs. They get really good reviews and I've used it.. it's built like a tank (and weighs as much as one, too). The head you choose is very important as well.. but I'm not too keen on the lower level heads at the moment.

Check out the link here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... _Legs.html

I've also heard really really good things about Induro. I'd say most of the photographers I know use either Induro, the Manfrotto 055XPROB, Gitzo (too expensive and not durable enough for the price), or Really Right Stuff TVC33 with BH55 Ballhead (This is what I will be using as soon as they fill my order!).

Also check out this article. It's a classic.. and I've found it to be true in my journey:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
I take pictures sometimes. And sometimes I post them here:
http://www.tjthornephotography.com
and
http://500px.com/TjThorne
and
https://www.facebook.com/tjthornephotography

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 11th, 2014, 9:12 pm

I burn through tripods quickly (don't report me to the SPCT, please...), so don't like to spend a lot -- around $100, especially since I keep one in each car as a spare, plus a small backpacking tripod in my larger pack. Thus, I've been a loyal Slik user for 30 years, now - a nice combination of sturdy, reasonably light and affordable. I have two Slik 330DX tripods (about $90) that are my standard hiking tripod -- pan-head, which I prefer over ball-head, but you can switch out for other heads (including Manfrotto, if that's how you want to spend your money). It has hree-piece legs and extends to maximum 63 inches, comfortable enough for me. My only advice is to pull the rubber feet off before using and glue them on with some silicone caulk -- I lost a couple off my first one when the legs pushed into deep soil or stream gravel (replaced with some generic rubber feet, so not a huge deal).

My backpacking tripod is a ball-head Slik Spring Pro II that folds way down and is very light. This one also extends to 63 inches, but is not as sturdy as the 330DX at any height, as the legs are in 4 sections. The weight is under 2 lbs, so very easy to carry. I may replace the ball head, eventually - just not how I like shoot set shots, though I guess it would be handy if I were to spot Sasquatch... ;)

I also have a couple of the venerable Slik U212 tripods - a model that I've used since the 1980s. They are built like tanks, and super sturdy, albeit too heavy for most to carry on the trail (though I have). I keep one in each car for roadside stuff, short walks. They're refreshingly old-school, with crank height adjustment that just feels cool to use... stick your old OM-1 on this and you can transport back to the halcyon days of 35mm landscape shooting..!

Tom :)

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » April 12th, 2014, 7:36 pm

Thanks Tom. I found a Slik 700 Pro on sale at ProPhoto for $200. It is about 7 lbs, which is pretty heavy but is super sturdy. I regularly shoot with 500 mm and 600 mm prime lenses when shooting wildlife so I needed something that wouldn't move in the wind. I guess hefting that thing up Defiance will just give me that much more of a work out. :lol: I'll just have to make sure I have Lurch's phone number in case I need a tarp out from too much exertion. ;)

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 12th, 2014, 9:24 pm

That'd be a big tarp :D :lol:

Jk, good luck on your tripod search. Anxious to see more of your photos from the Clackamas drainage with it.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » April 12th, 2014, 10:06 pm

:lol: :lol: