New camera advice

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
forestkeeper

Re: New camera advice

Post by forestkeeper » March 15th, 2014, 5:41 am

That South Sister photo looks really nice. Nice colors and detail! And you want better pictures? ;) If I ever get married again, I'm gonna hire you as my wedding photographer. Nice photos Tom!

Will

jdemott

Post by jdemott » March 15th, 2014, 9:20 am

Maybe I'm just being to picky I see a lot of pictures on this site that just seem more colorful and clearer than the ones I take. I always think pictures I take are not that good. I just download the pictures and never do anything to them with a computer.
All three of your photos were shot in bright, direct sunlight...which means you get harsh contrast (very bright whites and very dark shadows, rather than subtle tones). And you get a lot of glare which can tend to wash out colors on surfaces that are reflective, like rocks (but less reflective surfaces, like clothing, have bright colors). That's just what happens in bright sunlight, so you see the same result in both the Powershot photos and the phone photos. (Bright sunlight is a condition in which cell phone cameras do pretty well.)

So, what can you do if you want better photos in sunlight? First, you can get a camera that uses a polarizing filter. I guess that many of the photos on this site that seem more colorful to you probably used a polarizing filter. Take a look at this link for a few examples of shots with and without polarizers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing ... otography) Although a lot of people think you have to get a DSLR to use filters, there are third party vendors that make polarizer attachments for some point and shoot cameras, including some powershot cameras http://www.lensmateonline.com/ You can even get filters for some cell phone cameras.

Second, you can get a newer camera that has better dynamic range, i.e., handles a wider range from bright to dark so that shadows don't look so black and bright areas don't look so washed out. The Canon S110 has a bigger sensor which is important for better dynamic range.

Third, you could work on your photos on the computer after the fact to make adjustments to shadows, etc. but it sounds like you're not interested in that. Frankly, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they are really interested because it takes a lot of practice to get good at it. And the cameras now do a very good job automatically.

The other thing that a newer camera would do for you is give you a little less camera shake which can give you sharper, clearer looking photos. One thing to keep in mind if you decide to look for a new camera is that the superzoom type cameras are much more likely to show a little blurring from camera shake than cameras with wider angle lenses, because the zoom lenses are slower and because shake is more visible at longer focal lengths.

When I have looked at new cameras, I have sometimes taken a memory card to the camera store so I can take a few test shots in the parking lot and then take the photos home and look at them on my computer. You could do that with your existing camera and a newer camera and compare the results on your computer screen. The camera store would probably let you try a couple shots with a polarizing filter too. Then you could decide for yourself whether it is worth it to you to spend the money.

kelkev

Post by kelkev » March 15th, 2014, 2:04 pm

I am far from the pro photographer here, but after dabbling with RAW, DSLR's, superzoom bridge cameras, and pocket cameras, I have been the happiest with my old trusty superzoom bridge camera, simply because it's kind of good at most things, but a master at none of them. Nice to have a fairly lightweight camera with a nice wide angle, good long zoom, good macro capabilities, and reasonably compact. In good lighting, it takes good to very good photos. Low light, not so hot, but most of my photography is daytime landscape and nature so usually I'm happy with what I end up with. To each their own, and there are a bunch of good folks on this site who take awesome photos, some with expensive gear, and others with basic gear.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Roy

Post by Roy » March 17th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Thanks every one for the sound advise the real truth of the mater is I am a lazy photographer I want the perfect picture but I don't have the great interest in photography so I don't put in the effort.

So I think I will sit tight and see what the future brings.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » March 18th, 2014, 8:45 pm

I find the polarizer to be almost essential. Especially if you also like taking reflections or pictures of clear water. In my experience that is where it is most helpful, cutting the glare in the water.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » April 2nd, 2014, 10:23 pm

I used the Powershot SX10 by Canon for years and loved it.

Skipped upgrading since I've been tinkering with portraiture and DSLRs for a couple years. But thinking of the SX50 HS

Check it out, think it has RAW too.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon- ... ot-sx50-hs

Limey

Post by Limey » April 3rd, 2014, 8:50 am

I've been using the sx50 for a year now and really like it. I have only used it on the auto setting so I can't give you any useful information. I have noticed that it is really easy to unintentionally bump a button unless you make sure to keep your thumb on the thumb rest. I believe Pablo has this camera too so I'm sure you could get much more information from him. Maybe he'll weigh in on this thread.

Marilyn

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » April 3rd, 2014, 11:39 pm

Limey wrote:I've been using the sx50 for a year now and really like it. I have only used it on the auto setting so I can't give you any useful information. I have noticed that it is really easy to unintentionally bump a button unless you make sure to keep your thumb on the thumb rest. I believe Pablo has this camera too so I'm sure you could get much more information from him. Maybe he'll weigh in on this thread.

Marilyn
When I picked up my 50mm lens back from adjustment today at Pro Photo, I was checking the SX50 out. If I understand correct ... it can zoom for a shot that would almost look like putting a 1200mm lens on a full frame DSLR.

Limey

Post by Limey » April 4th, 2014, 8:04 am

This is a picture of St Helens taken from surveyors ridge. It wasn't the full extent of the zoom but like I said, I use the Auto setting and that day I was having focus issues. Here are normal and zoom pics.
Rim Rock 008 (1024x575).jpg
Rim Rock 009 (1024x575).jpg
As you can see, with zoom you get mega cropping. I really should try some manual settings.