Where's the dust at? Please examine!!!

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
forestkeeper

Where's the dust at? Please examine!!!

Post by forestkeeper » January 9th, 2014, 6:02 pm

Hey guys. In relation to my previous post on Where To Get My Camera Cleaned: Here's three shots of Cripple Creek that I took today. Notice near the bottom half, the dust particles. How should I get my camera cleaned? Visible both in viewfinder and in the image. Thanks!!!!!!
Cripple Creek 1-1.jpg
Cripple Creek 2-1.jpg
Cripple Creek 3-1.jpg

BrianEdwards

Re: Where's the dust at? Please examine!!!

Post by BrianEdwards » January 9th, 2014, 6:47 pm

Have em clean your camera sensor, and the lens. After that you'll be in good shape :)

Cripple Creek eh? Do tell more
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

jdemott

Post by jdemott » January 9th, 2014, 8:18 pm

It certainly looks like there is dust on the sensor but I'm puzzled why you would see it in the viewfinder. The optical path for what you see in the viewfinder of the typical DSLR does not include the sensor. Dust that you see in the viewfinder suggests dust on the lens. Are you sure you're seeing the exact same spots in the viewfinder and the image?

Does your camera have an electronic viewfinder? If the electronic viewfinder uses the same sensor as the image, then you could see sensor dirt in the viewfinder. (I thought your camera has an optical viewfinder) Do you see the exact same configuration of dust spots when you use a different lens (note the distinctive horseshoe shaped speck in the upper left of the first image...lower left of the image in the second when the camera is rotated) ? Same pattern with different lenses would confirm sensor dust.

If the dust is on the lens, it would likely be on the rear element (easily seen and cleanable when you take the lens off and look at the rear glass element). Dirt or scratches on the front element have to be really horrendous to show up in the image...a small speck of dust on the front of the lens won't be seen in the image. Dust inside the lens is a very slight possibility and would be difficult to get rid of.

Whether the dust is on the lens or the sensor, some of those specks are pretty big which means that they should be fairly easy to locate and remove.

If you're getting serious about photography, it makes sense to learn a few basics about camera cleaning and maintenance. I outlined the steps in my earlier post, but I understand it may be a little cryptic for the first time through ( I was certainly pretty nervous the first time I cleaned my sensor). A Google search will probably yield lots more detailed instructions. You can save a lot of money doing it yourself.

You might try stopping by Advanced Camera or Pro Photo sometime when they aren't super busy and tell them that you want to buy a kit of cleaning supplies (blower, camel hair brush, sensor swabs, lens cleaning tissue, cleaning fluid) but you need a demonstration in proper usage.

TJ_T

Post by TJ_T » January 10th, 2014, 12:08 am

+1 to what John said above.

My camera is notorious for sensor issues. The D600. SO much in fact that Nikon pretty much released the same camera with very few differences.. one of them being a newly designed shutter mechanism. That is where the oil on my sensor is originating.

For ~$50 you can get a kit including swabs and solution and do it yourself. It's really not difficult and there are youtube videos to walk you through it.

I found this one one for my camera in about 30 seconds:

http://youtu.be/LJ8UMqvVsp4
I take pictures sometimes. And sometimes I post them here:
http://www.tjthornephotography.com
and
http://500px.com/TjThorne
and
https://www.facebook.com/tjthornephotography

Lurch

Post by Lurch » January 10th, 2014, 10:48 am

I'll third that

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » January 11th, 2014, 3:08 pm

I agree with sensor dust. Before cleaning the sensor I would first try blowing the dust with a Rocket Air Blaster. I have not had to clean my sensor yet on my Canon 7D. It's pretty easy to do, lock up your mirror and hold the camera with the lens mount facing down and blow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oQmq_sCU0k

If you have a high res full frame they are really bad. I had a 5D mkII and that was a real problem with that camera. An occasional sensor cleaning was necessary.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

GeorgeH

Post by GeorgeH » February 3rd, 2014, 2:19 pm

I use a rocket blower after each trip. Then when dust becomes visible (~ 6 months) I use the swabs and fluid as noted (Eclipse). I have a Nikon D800 and have been slow to realize that cleaning the sensor is not rocket science. It is more like cleaning a lens. A little care is all that is required. At first the literature had me believing it was only to be done by pros (the Nikon repair shop over the Portland did a terrible job twice). Then if you used a swab more then once... you would destroy the sensor... not true. You don't have to be squeamish about it. You can go back and forth (don't want sand on the swab), may take a two or three swabs, one wet, damp and one dry... but don't sweat it. It is easy, and you'll do a better job that the Nikon repair shop. Also, they have sensor lighted magnifier... works great, you can see the sensor and the dust... and any streaks. Anyway, clean away.

OregonHikerGirl

Post by OregonHikerGirl » February 5th, 2014, 11:34 am

Here's another link as to how you can check for dust on your sensor.
You may want to take your camera in after you do a few tests on your camera.
You may want to double check and change lenses when you test your camera too.
Don't forget to check both sides of the lens for dust.
Hope this helps...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PumJJBhPRR4