Mt Hood Photo Locations

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
mjuliana

Mt Hood Photo Locations

Post by mjuliana » January 3rd, 2014, 4:07 pm

Hi Guys -
I'm starting a personal project of getting panos of Mt Hood from different locations. I'm hoping you can help me compile a list of shot locations. I'm looking for classic shots as well as the not so obvious ones. I'm going to leave this as a clean slate for now and will update this original post with your ideas as they come. Please be as specific as possible. Thanks for your help!
Thanks,
Mike J

justpeachy

Re: Mt Hood Photo Locations

Post by justpeachy » January 3rd, 2014, 9:23 pm

Oh boy, you asked for it! :D

I don't know how close or far you want to be, but there are MANY spots on the Timberline Trail with good views. In addition I can think of Trillium Lake, Lost Lake, Bald Mountain, Lookout Mountain, Tom, Dick, and Harry Mountain, and Larch Mountain. There are many many others I could probably think of if I sat and thought for awhile.

You might take a look through summer trip reports on this site and look at the photos people took.

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » January 3rd, 2014, 9:56 pm

My favorite--an unusual view--is from where the PCT crosses the Muddy Fork.
Mt-Hood-from-MF.jpg

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » January 4th, 2014, 7:11 am

justpeachy wrote:Oh boy, you asked for it! :D

I don't know how close or far you want to be, but there are MANY spots on the Timberline Trail with good views. In addition I can think of Trillium Lake, Lost Lake, Bald Mountain, Lookout Mountain, Tom, Dick, and Harry Mountain, and Larch Mountain. There are many many others I could probably think of if I sat and thought for awhile.

You might take a look through summer trip reports on this site and look at the photos people took.
Good Choices justpeachy.

Let me add a few although I don't often do panos but they might be good locations.
Timberline trail looking over Heather Canyon
Handheld, Handstitched Panorama by Janice L, on Flickr

Salmon Butte from here you can see Adams, Rainier and St. Helens. You can also see Jefferson but it it to your back from this POV
Spring in August - Mount Hood from Salmon Butte. by Janice L, on Flickr

Zig Zag Mountain.
Name Those Features by Janice L, on Flickr

Then there is Boulder Ridge, Flag Point (which I have yet to visit but have seen some great shots taken there), Paradise Park, Owl Point (on my to do list this year) http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Owl_Point

Remember to share some of your photos. :)
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

jdemott

Post by jdemott » January 4th, 2014, 11:37 am

Sounds like a thousand-year project! (Unless you are looking for a little variety in weather, lighting and seasons...in which case it will take longer.)

For locations close to the mountain, many of the obvious choices are along or close to the Timberline Trail. The views from Bald Mountain and along the ridge heading up to McNeil Point are very nice. When wildflowers are blooming, there are great shots from various meadows including those around Paradise Park, McNeil Point, Elk Cove, Vista Ridge, Dollar Lake, etc. Another nearby high point, in addition to those already mentioned by others, is Zig Zag mountain.

Once you start thinking about distant vistas (which certainly qualify as possible panorama subjects) then the list of locations gets very long in a hurry. I have found a number of nice opportunities shooting from the east end of the gorge, where there are lots of wide open spaces to shoot from and you can get interesting weather. Here are three from near Catherine Creek:

Also lots of nice locations on high ground to the north, such as Silver Star:

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » January 4th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Lolo pass rd works too :)
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » January 4th, 2014, 4:19 pm

jdemott wrote:Sounds like a thousand-year project!
That's the truth. :)
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 4th, 2014, 4:35 pm

That's a cool idea, Mike! My best pano locations have been Cooper Spur, Gnarl Ridge, Tom Dick & Harry Mountain, Muddy Fork and (of course!) Owl Point. But if you really want some good ideas, check out Joe Urmos' site - he's pretty much covered the gamut for Mount Hood with panos, and has put together a very impressive website. His panos are full 360 images, but give some great ideas on more conventional pano opportunities:

Cascade Landscapes by Jozsef Urmos

The link is to his very handy index map. He hasn't covered White River, the Muddy Fork, Owl Point or Gunsight Butte yet, but that's being nitpicky, as he has an amazing number of great panos logged! I'm pretty sure he visits the forum, too, as I think a report I posted on the Viento Bluffs inspired him to go up there (and take much better photos than I posted, of course!). I ran into Joe at Elk Cove a few years ago and was fascinated by his technique -- his Elk Cove pantos look to be shot that day. Among other things, he doesn't use a polarizer filter (because it makes blending the sky too difficult, I thin), and yet his photos are very nicely exposed!

Looking forward to seeing your project come together!

Tom :)

Lurch

Post by Lurch » January 4th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Peaks visible from Mt Hood, and should work the other way around...

North Side

Larch Mtn (Washington)
Palmer
Silver Star
Buck Peak
Jack Mountain
Tanner Butte
Lookout Mountain
Indian Mountain
Soda Peaks
St Helens
Chinidere Mtn
Mt Defiance
Mt Rainier
Hauk Butte
Mt Adams
Bald Butte

East Side

Indian Rock
Stacker Butte
Lorena Butte
Sugarloaf
Gordon Butte
Hay Creek Butte
Diamond Butte
Lookout Mtn
Devils HalfAcre
Lamberson Butte
Maupin Butte
Badger Butte

South Side

Grater Butte
Cat Mtn
Teller Butte
Rainbow Rock
Eagle Butte
Simnasho Butte
Grizzly Mtn
West Hills
Gray Butte
Juniper Butte
Beaver Butte
Sawmill Butte
Twin Buttes
Mt Wilson
Black Butte
Lookout Butte
Olallie Butte
Mt Jefferson
Bachelor Mtn
Harvey Mountain
Veda Butte
Schreiner Peak
Oak Grove Peak
Mt Mitchell
Tom Dick & Harry Mtn

West Side

East Mtn
Baty Butte
Fish Creek Mtn
Table Rock
Divide Butte
Devils Peak
South Fork Mtn
Tumala Mtn
Prospect Hill
Githens Mtn
Wildcat Mtn
ZigZag Mtn
Walnut Hill
Slide Mtn
Alecs Butte
Bald Peak
Iowa Hill
Mt Talbert
Sexton Mtn
Scouter Mtn
Sugarloaf Mtn
Aschoff Buttes
Last Chance Mtn
Rocky Butte
Burnt Peak
Clear Fork Butte
Pepper Mtn
Woodburn Hill
Blazed Adler Butte
Sherrard Pt
Big Bend Mtn
Livingston Mtn
Pohls Hill

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » January 6th, 2014, 11:01 am

Okay. So I am a little overwhelmed with all of the suggestions. I knew the suggestions would pour out but wow...Thanks again! The link to Jozsef Ufmos site was a cool bonus. I'm going to compile your suggestions along with others that I've heard and will repost a consolidated list.
Thanks,
Mike J