Where to get camera cleaned?

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
forestkeeper

Where to get camera cleaned?

Post by forestkeeper » December 26th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Hey everyone. As I returned to do some serious photography from Wahkeena to Devil's Rest today
(Thursday, Dec. 26), I found out that I have some troublesome dust particles on the sensor of my
Sony a500 DSLR. I took the lens off, looked through the viewfinder, and the dust particles are still there.
Being that I'm going on vacation in a couple of weeks in central Oregon for some high desert photography, is there somewhere local that I can take my camera to get cleaned?

Thanks!!!

Will

BrianEdwards

Re: Where to get camera cleaned?

Post by BrianEdwards » December 26th, 2013, 7:27 pm

An ok drive from OC is Camera Solutions
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » December 26th, 2013, 7:39 pm

:D Oh great. Thanks big time Brian!!!

forester

Post by forester » December 26th, 2013, 7:43 pm

Mine is waterproof. I use the scrub brush in the kitchen sink. :D

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » December 27th, 2013, 2:10 am

Wow. I'm not sure I'd want to use a scrub brush on any camera sensor to remove dust particles. :lol:

hikin_mike1960

Post by hikin_mike1960 » December 27th, 2013, 9:26 am

I use Advanced Cameras in Beaverton. they do a great job.
Take a walk with Mother Nature and find peace.
http://www.takeawalkwithmothernature.com

jdemott

Post by jdemott » December 27th, 2013, 9:39 am

One of the problems of removable lens cameras is that dust can get inside the camera whenever you change lenses. Sometimes a professional cleaning is needed but usually you can take care of it yourself. Also, if you do some routine cleaning yourself, you can reduce the number of times you have to resort to an expensive professional cleaning.

First question: where is the dust? If the dust is on the sensor, it will be visible in your photos but not in the viewfinder. The dust specks in your photos will be most visible in areas of sky and will appear in the exact same position in the frame in every photo. I think your camera has a mechanism to reduce the chances of dust on the sensor, but sensor dust specks are still possible.

If the dust is visible when you look through the viewfinder, then it is probably on either the focusing screen (glass piece on the roof of the chamber) or on the mirror. I.e., if you see it in the viewfinder, it isn't on the sensor.

The first line of defense in any dust removal is blowing air. Most cameras stores sell a "rocket blower" which works pretty well. Costs about $10 I think. It is a good idea to use a blower to clean out the inside of your camera periodically. Just take the lens off, point where you think dust might be lurking, and squeeze. If you use canned air make sure you buy a brand that is intended for camera work--some brands can leave an oily residue. It is best to hold the camera so that gravity will allow any dislodged dust to fall out of the camera.

To access the sensor for blowing or more serious cleaning, you will have to find the setting on your camera that allows you to lock up the mirror while the lens is off. First try blowing the sensor clean. If blowing air isn't sufficient, you can clean the sensor yourself but you should use sensor swabs or similar materials available at a camera store. You need to be careful but it can definitely be done be the average user.

If the focusing screen is dirty, you can usually clean it with lens tissues and lens cleaning fluid if blowing isn't sufficient. If there is dust on the mirror that won't come off with blowing, the only alternative is professional cleaning--the mirror surface is very fragile and shouldn't be touched by the user. But keep in mind that dust on the mirror or focusing screen won't affect your photos, it is just a minor annoyance that may or may not be worth the cost of a cleaning.

If you need professional work, I can recommend Advanced Camera or Pro Photo Supply.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » January 6th, 2014, 11:06 pm

hikin_mike1960 wrote:I use Advanced Cameras in Beaverton. they do a great job.
Haven't needed to clean the two years I've had my latest cameras, but that's where I plan to go eventually.

Seems most often I change lenses in my truck, and if so, turning the heater off helps huge to reduce moving dust.

Whether in the truck, or in the forest, I hold the lens side of the camera toward the ground when swapping lenses. Dust seems to more often fall down than float upward.