Which tripod?

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
forestkeeper

Which tripod?

Post by forestkeeper » September 11th, 2013, 6:18 pm

:) Hello everyone. I'm in the market for a new/used tripod. I shoot with a Minolta Maxxum XT si SLR camera and now I more frequently shoot with a Sony Alpha A500 DSLR camera. The tripod I currently use is a lightweight cheap Polaroid that would be ok with the Minolta or a point and shoot, but my Sony A500 is quit a bit heavier, especially with a 28-200mm attached.

Now in addition to the legs, what type of head do I use? And as Pacific Northwest hikers (lot's of uphills, windy and narrow trails, and brushy conditions) what tripod do you use and what would you suggest?

Thanks!!!

Will

BrianEdwards

Re: Which tripod?

Post by BrianEdwards » September 11th, 2013, 6:29 pm

One word: Manfrotto :)

Yes it's a brand name, and they make excellent tripods for DSLR's. They're sold at best buy and most photo stores.

A word of the wise regarding tripods for DSLR's: buy a tripod that does not have a stabilizer connecting all three legs. You want all legs to pivot individually. You're rarely gonna use your camera on perfectly level ground, and having each leg pivot individually is invaluable. I use This One from Bestbuy with my DSLR.

I recently used that tripod on a trip to the southwest. It has 4 segments to the legs, which allows it to fold up very tightly to fit in a backpack. It's very sturdy and light, it comes with a quick-disconnect head, and doesn't have that stabilizer keeping all the legs hostage.

Last edited by BrianEdwards on September 11th, 2013, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

forestkeeper

Re: Which tripod?

Post by forestkeeper » September 11th, 2013, 6:43 pm

:D You definitely get the "Oh Wow" with those compositions!!! Excellent work, Brian. I applaud you. You composed those works of art in such a way that it transports the viewer to the tops of mesas. That tripod is in my price budget too. Thanks Brian.