Using a Canon digital light meter

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
forestkeeper

Using a Canon digital light meter

Post by forestkeeper » August 30th, 2013, 3:44 pm

:) Hey everyone. Just curious. As I typically shoot with 35mm SLRs, I also bring my little Canon SX150IS digital point and shoot with me too. Can I use the light meter from the Canon SX150 to get the proper exposures for use in the SLRs? Like, say if I wanted to capture a squirrel sitting on the Multnomah Falls platform with my Minolta. Can I just point the Canon SX150 (while on AF) towards the squirrel, then half press the shutter for the proper aperture and shutter speed? Will this be the same aperture and shutter speed needed for a manual SLR camera?

I'm trying to learn different techniques, as you probably can tell. Thanks!!!

jdemott

Re: Using a Canon digital light meter

Post by jdemott » August 31st, 2013, 11:33 am

Yes, with qualifications. Early on in the development of digital photography, photographers began using digital cameras as convenient light meters that have the added advantage of letting you take a test shot as well.

First, the biggest qualification is that the ISO settings on both cameras have to be the same. If you have ISO 100 film in the SLR, then you would need to compare a reading of ISO on the digital camera (I'm not familiar with the SX150IS, but I assume you can also tell what ISO is being used). If the ISOs are different, you can convert the differences by multiplying or dividing. An ISO of 200 is twice as fast as ISO 100, so a shutter speed of 1/500 at ISO 200 will require twice as long, or 1/250, at ISO 100. Apertures (f-stops) are a little harder. The sequence goes 2.0, 2.8, 4.0, 5.6, 8.0, 11.0, 16.0, 22.0. Note that the numbers double every other step, but that actually represents a factor of four--f/4 has one-fourth the light of f/2; f/2.8 is one half the light of f/2.

Second, you need to have the same field of view. Obviously, you need to have both cameras pointed at the same place. But also, the cameras need to be zoomed to the same view. If you have a wide angle lens on the SLR whiel the digital camera is looking at a smaller part of the scene, then you will only get the reading for the smaller area (sometimes this is what you want to do; it is called spot metering when you measure the exposure at an important area of the photo). Cameras can use different metering systems, generally referred to as matrix, center-weighted, and spot. Whatever metering method your Canon uses is the metering result you will get.

Third, you would have to adjust for any filters. If you have a polarizing filter on the SLR for example, that would reduce the light coming to the film, but a reading from the Canon without a filter would indicate more light (i.e., would suggest a faster shutter speed).

Fourth, another big qualification, is that you have to hope both cameras are reasonably accurate. Even the best cameras are never exact in their shutter and aperture settings (plus or minus one-sixth of a stop wouldn't be surprising). ISO settings are supposed to be an international standard but the testing labs that have measured various digital standards have found that the manufacturers exercise some subjectivity in their ISO claims.

You don't say why you don't trust the meter in your SLR, but if you're planning to use the Canon as a light meter, the best thing would be do do some test shots, carefully recording the settings on both cameras and then examining the results. One of the most common uses of pocket cameras as light meters is to zoom in on different places in the scene to see what the lightest and darkest areas in the photo will be and then make a judgment about what you want to do with the film camera settings. I.e., the digital camera acts as a spot meter for an SLR that may not have spot metering capability.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » August 31st, 2013, 12:25 pm

Thank you John. When I'm either on aperture or shutter priorities, I use the Minolta Maxxum's honeycomb in camera metering but I'm trying to shoot fully manual while learning the Sunny 16 Rule, the Zone System and the 18% gray principles. I plan on returning to digital soon, maybe buy a Nikon 5100 or Canon 60D after I save some $$ up, but there is so much to learn and I'm having a lot of fun shooting 35mm. May even try medium format film for landscapes. :)

jdemott

Post by jdemott » August 31st, 2013, 2:17 pm

Hope it was helpful. I didn't know how simple or complicated an answer you wanted.

I used to spend a lot of time worrying about exposure, but with digital cameras I can just look at the histogram, take lots of photos, and adjust in Photoshop. :D It's a good thing too, now that I'm old and lazy. :lol:

If you're interested in medium format, I bet you can find some good deals on what used to be very expensive cameras.

Not sure that I understand your point about the Minolta metering...don't you get some kind of needle readout in the viewfinder when you're in manual exposure mode, so the needle moves toward or away from center as you adjust the speed or aperture?

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » August 31st, 2013, 7:33 pm

You could spot meter on the squirrel with your canon to get a good reading, or you could meter on the green trees that are in the same light as the squirrel and then use Bryan Peterson's "Mr Green Jeans" and compensate by - 2/3 stop.

My suggestion is to do some sample test shot comparisons before you get to that photogenic squirrel to know how the canon digital metering systems compares to your 35 mm slr.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » September 1st, 2013, 7:29 am

Thank you for your suggestions! I'm attempting to learn all I can about photography. While I've never shot in complete AF, I have usually shot in A or S priority, but now I go fully manual. When you compose a work, most people cannot get full credit because either their camera does it all or part of it. I want to know exactly what each frame consists of. In the digital world, the camera (computer) does it all. We no longer have to think, it does it for us. Our big DSLRs are actually gigantic point and shoots. As Americans we want the newest and biggest toys. So now with our full frames and cropped, we just point and shoot and use software to create marvelous photos. And bad photos can become good ones with Photoshop or Lightroom.

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » September 1st, 2013, 9:52 am

If you really want to do these pictures on your own, why not forget the light meter?
In 1957 I bought a Rolleiflex 4x4 twin lens reflex. It did not have a light meter but had an exposure guide on the back of the camera.
Rollei back.jpg
(This is not mine. I'm too lazy to go up to the atic to get it.)
After a whille I got pretty good at getting proper exposures on my photos. Seems worth a try.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » September 1st, 2013, 10:47 am

Beautiful camera oldandslow! That is my wish- to not even use a light meter. I figure if Ansel Adams and all the others could get great results back in the days prior to 21st century technology, it would be easy for me to do it with all this technology. Yet, it is the opposite of easy because that type of artistic photography is a nearly lost and forgotten trade. While the greater population uses the newest of technically advanced digital cameras, a few of us are like rocks in a swift river, we're going backwards instead of forwards. But it is so fun, and has become an habitual hobby. ;)

jdemott

Post by jdemott » September 1st, 2013, 11:01 am

That is my wish- to not even use a light meter.
You might want to take a look at this:
http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » September 1st, 2013, 8:20 pm

:) Thank you John for the Fred Parker website. Great stuff to learn!