iPhone Panorama Gallery

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
Koda

Re: iPhone Panorama Gallery

Post by Koda » July 15th, 2013, 1:35 pm

It takes photos on a cell phone, how can it not be an application? Ifs its ios branded it only means it’s a proprietary app!

Looks cool though, much more fun than post processing. There are a few options for this style of pano application on the Android market I would like to try now. I would have for this thread, except I didn’t know the specifics of the app. The end result is still the same.

I cant help but wonder if it leaves a bunch of single frame images hidden on the drive?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 15th, 2013, 8:39 pm

It might, Wayne. The images are surprisingly large, and I've experimented with sort of stalling out during the "pan" and it seems like it's matching up pixels on the fly. In low light, you get a "SLOW DOWN" message, which I find sort of funny... I wonder if I can get Siri to say it for me..? ;)

Mayhem, you snuck those in when I wasn't looking! :)

Okay, here are a couple more -- I've been hanging out on the east side of the mountain lately -- looking east from Lookout Mountain, down the Fifteenmile Creek valley a couple weeks ago:

Yesterday on the west side of Lookout Mountain near Gumjuwac Saddle:

Keep 'em coming!

Tom :)

shawjr

Post by shawjr » July 16th, 2013, 5:22 pm

It also works well for vertical orientation. Here is a tree lookout at Black Mountain from a recent trip to the Ochoco's. The lighting was really crummy that morning, so I just turned it B/W when I uploaded it to Flickr.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 16th, 2013, 5:23 pm

I can think of a few waterfalls where vertical panorama would be useful

Badknee

Post by Badknee » July 18th, 2013, 12:04 pm

So here is a vertical shot of Tunnel Falls with my iPhone 5. Not a great shot. Did this one handheld so I need to try this with a new bracket I've got for my phone that mounts to a tripod (got tired of taping it on). I've had some trouble starting panos in bright sun and ending in darker shadows or the reverse. Does anyone know of a way to reverse the pano so you can move right to left?
image.jpg
Go! Just Go right now! Go!

SonOfTamarack

Post by SonOfTamarack » July 18th, 2013, 12:44 pm

Microsoft (of all people) makes a free 360 degree-able panorama app called "Photosynth" that you might check out. I took this pano from the top of Three Corner Rock with it last month. It does sometimes do odd things with large light transitions, edges (notice my ghostly headless wife), etc. but it's nice to be able to go in any and all directions. There's apparently a way to map your image onto Quicktime VR or it's successor, so you could let folks rotate around in the image like one can do in the app itself--also means no distortion of top and bottom.

larger version on Flickr:
http://flic.kr/p/fc6SZX

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 18th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Bizarre what it did to your wife! How many images did it put together for that? I've had trouble doing more than a handful, at times. I think the actual (free!) software you need to download is Microsoft ICE, right? Sometimes, with the better ones, I'll upload them to Photosynth to allow that interactive zoom/pan thing.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

jdemott

Post by jdemott » July 18th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Tom McCall preserve looking west:

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » July 18th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Idiot Creek Falls - vertical

Regular shot with prior iPhone 4s

Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

shawjr

Post by shawjr » July 18th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Badknee wrote:Does anyone know of a way to reverse the pano so you can move right to left?
image.jpg

Badknee, on the 4s ya just tap the white arrow on the view screen. I don't know if the 5 is the same though??