New backpacking tripod

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
rainrunner

Re: New backpacking tripod

Post by rainrunner » July 15th, 2013, 10:16 am

Though I haven't taken any panorama shots with the tripod, it does swivel very smoothly when I loosen the securing screw to reposition the camera.
So far I am very happy with the tripod. It is very easy to set up and take down, and seems very secure with my camera and telephoto lens.

Here is a picture with it attached to my daypack when we hiked up to the summit of South Sister this weekend.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

scole

Post by scole » July 15th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Good to hear. Thanks for the update!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 15th, 2013, 8:19 pm

Nice to hear about the field test. On my list now. :)
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

scole

Post by scole » August 10th, 2013, 5:45 pm

Thought I'd post a follow up in this thread. Because of it, I ended up buying one and just returned from an overnighter with it.

Pros-
  • * I found the max height sufficient for pretty much most of my needs in the backcountry. I am 5' 10" and do have to bend over a bit to look through my viewfinder but I'm ok with that. They do make a model with a higher max height if you need it (the XC-525 but it adds another 1lb).
    * I liked and used the level bubble that's integrated into the leg.
    * I like the safety "lock" feature that prevents the camera base plate from sliding out if the head clamp is loosened.
Cons-
  • * Only one portrait orientation cutout on the head. I wish it had one on both sides.
    * I feel that the bubble levels built into the tripod head are too small and useless. It's easier to use a bubble level mounted into your camera's hotshoe.
    * The twist locks. Maybe it will change over time but they seemed a little too easy to unlock when you didn't want them to.
    * Partly due to my own muscle memory with my primary tripod head's layout but more than once I nailed myself in the face with the large lock knob that secures the base plate to the head.
I won't list this as a con but just know that once you loosen the ball head it will flop QUICKLY. I didn't have any accidents but it's good to know. :D I'm satisfied enough with it.

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » August 12th, 2013, 10:44 am

The biggest con I have seen so far on this tripod is that when you align the camera up for a shot then tighten the ball head securing knob, the ball head will sometimes sag a bit from where I had it set. Once it is set it stays where it is, but the minor drop can be aggravating when you are in a tight shot, and have to re-align the camera again.

I found I don't have a problem with the level bubble on the side of the quick release mount. It works for me especially when I am taking night pictures.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir