Oregon man questioned over his photography

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
Roy

Re: Oregon man questioned over his photography

Post by Roy » June 13th, 2013, 4:43 pm

OK photographers out there fill me in on this, something seems fishy about the site reporting this story.

http://www.pinacnation.com/

Eighty five bucks for a hoodie,hat and patch plus free priority shipping over fifty dollars.

"Miller knows the importance of educating people, especially those in authority, about basic Constitutional rights when it comes to photography, including from the incident in the above photo when a security guard called the cops on him and other photographers because they were photographing the Miami Herald building.

But he also understands the importance of quality fashion that feels comfortable, fits nice and looks good, which is what goes into every piece of merchandise offered on PINAC Nation."

I think one must dress well while defending the Constitution its very important. :lol:
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

R11

Post by R11 » June 14th, 2013, 9:41 am

I've been a life long Democrat mostly because I believe in individual rights and tolerance, and social responsibility of the collective system. And I hate the hard core Republicans and religious fanatics who seem to think that their way is the only "right" way and everybody else be damned. But we are now living in a very fracked up world unfortunately where it's all too easy to cause major damage, death and destruction if things are not constantly scrutinized. Personally I will gladly trade minor loss of freedoms and inconveniences for increased security given the circumstances. It is highly lamentable that it's come to this but it's simply a bummer byproduct of the turbulent and volatile times we live in. It is disgusting, but it's also reality, and I'm not naive.

I've also never been one to readily ascribe to conspiracy theories or jump on the paranoia train, but obviously watchdog oversight is always needed to keep abuses under control and I've always though of Ron Wyden as one of the good guys with admirable intentions. But having said that, it seems to me he's slowly going further and further overboard to the point of just becoming a zealot himself. And on the other end of the spectrum there's John McCain who obviously should be a highly regarded and respected man given his background and experience(s), but these days he's quickly nearing outright kook status. All too often people get so entrenched in a particular mind set and stance that they simply have tunnel vision, lose their objectivity and can no longer see the forest for their own trees...

ron

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » June 14th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Not wanting to be too political here. I posted a response the other day about having been on El Carretera de la Muerte in Bolivia. It was labeled the most dangerous road in the world in the 90s. There's plenty of U tube exposure if anyone wants to look it up. The US and world bank helped build an alternative route that has cut the number of persons plunging over the side to their death. So our government does do some really go things around the world.

Having said that. I was at the bottom of the big drop in a village called Coroico, Bolivia on 9-11. My wife and I were waiting for the 12th to fly into the US. Obviously it didn't happen. This village is a tourist escape from the altitudes of life on the altiplano and is basically paradise. Papaya and banana trees, the ground cover around the forests there are flowering begonias. The 20,000 foot Cordillera Real mountains make up the back ground. I would have stayed there if there was any way to do so. It was obvious from that day on the US would be a changed nation. New laws, new restrictions.

I gotta agree with what Karl wrote about President Jefferson. How much freedom do you give up to remain "free"? I haven't flown since then. Not because of terrorism. Because what my government has done to air travel. If you added up all the time waiting in line, how many lives have been wasted waiting in line to go thru TSA security. I expect 1000's if not 10 of thousands. I have seen the graves in Chile of what happens when our government nation builds as well. I for one am saddened by what this nation now represents cause it seems to me it is much more about blatant protection of corporate interests around the world than our freedoms. This is only my opinion and nothing more. On a lighter side, one day I am gonna have to fly again. Its a long swim to Bolivia and its landlocked.

Peder

Post by Peder » June 14th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Steve20050 wrote:How much freedom do you give up to remain "free"? I haven't flown since then. Not because of terrorism. Because what my government has done to air travel. If you added up all the time waiting in line, how many lives have been wasted waiting in line to go thru TSA security.
As a frequent user of TSA's friendly services, I can only agree: The whole system is there to make us understand the danger of these "terrorists," but after 12 years the TSA has yet to make their first catch! Surprisingly, so many other things are far more dangerous than terrorists: Guns, vehicles, cigarettes and so forth. To a large extent, the so-called "War on Terror" is used to justify government secrecy and to muzzle the press.

I note that to date whistle blowers have not endangered anyone, but each time the government officials are left with egg on their faces: Why was the evidence about WMDs fabricated? Why did torture become an official policy? "Non-existent" documents, such as the Collateral Murder tape, are shown to exist.

The latest leak has the NSA boss caught lying: In 2012: “...And anybody who would tell you that we’re keeping files or dossiers on the American people know that’s not true. And let me tell you why. First, under our agency, we have a responsibility. Our job is foreign intelligence. ... And I will tell you that those who would want to weave the story that we have millions or hundreds of millions of dossiers on people is absolutely false.” Gen. Keith Alexander at the 2012 annual DEF CON convention.

Director of National Intelligence Clapper got caught peddling the same lie to Congress in March 2013 under oath! He found the recent leak “literally gut-wrenching”. Interestingly enough, the dishonest people still have their jobs and the guy who released the information (that harms nobody) is facing life in jail or worse.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

markesc

Post by markesc » June 14th, 2013, 11:21 pm

It's like the war on drugs... a good excuse to waste tax payer money and fatten the bottom lines for the corporations that benefit from the implementation and crappy execution of the idea of keeping us "safe..."

Good times for those who stand to make a crap ton of money in the deal by landing those big gov't contracts :lol:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 15th, 2013, 5:13 am

I think that's right Mark

"Follow the Money"

And if they can get us fighting each other about guns or abortion or whatever we'll be distracted and won't notice

potato

Post by potato » June 15th, 2013, 6:04 pm

I liked Peder's post.

Statistically it doesn't make sense to worry this much about terrorists. Why not focus on fixing problems we can actually control.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

forester

Post by forester » June 17th, 2013, 10:38 am

I'd looooove to have one of those $3000 octo-copters that shoots 1080p and high-quality stills...

mayhem

Post by mayhem » June 17th, 2013, 10:59 am

forester wrote:I'd looooove to have one of those $3000 octo-copters that shoots 1080p and high-quality stills...
something like this?
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/22592675/o ... z2WVACsdsu
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

forester

Post by forester » June 17th, 2013, 11:22 am

Close...

The only thing cooler than that is one powerful enough to lift me up.