Sigma 18 - 250 mm macro lens

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
rainrunner

Sigma 18 - 250 mm macro lens

Post by rainrunner » May 10th, 2013, 10:52 am

I have ordered the Sigma 18 - 250 mm macro lens for backpacking.
Though it is not a true macro lens, it does give closer capability than the other super zoom lenses.
I will do a review once I get it.
I though I would post this now because there is a $150 dollar instant rebate on the lens until the end of June, making the price $399.00 which in my books is a great price.
I am going for price and convenience over image quality on this lens. Though it is not a true macro lens, it does focus closer than the other ultra zoom lenses with a 1:2.8 magnification ratio.
The only drawback I see compared to the Canon 18 - 200 mm lens, is that my Canon Rebel will not do automatic distortion correction since it only does that on Canon brand lenses. I think Nikon's will auto correct even with third party lenses.

Here is a link to the review for the lens:

Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM

The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

oldandslow

Re: Sigma 18 - 250 mm macro lens

Post by oldandslow » May 12th, 2013, 3:36 pm

I'm anxious to see some of your pictures with the new lens. The reviews make it sound almost too good to be true. I"m sure that you will put it to good use.

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » June 13th, 2013, 4:01 am

I have used the Sigma 18 - 250 mm lens now for a day hike and a backpacking trip.
So far so good, the only drawback so far is that there is lens creep. When you try to take a picture looking down, the lens wants to open up, or zoom in, there is a lens lock when you are carrying the lens, but it doesn't work when you have the lens partially open, so I have had to hold the lens in it's zoom position when aiming downwards. Other than that it seems to take pictures that I am happy with. I seems a bit heavier than my other lenses, but having one lens to carry is so convenient.

Overall I would recommend this lens, especially for the price until June 30th @ $399.00

Here are some samples.

Close up - sigma say's it can focus at 1 ft, but I found you can get closer than that to focus.

Telephoto - Seems to get a nice focus on telephoto shots.

Low light - Though it only opens up to f/3.5 I was able to get decent shots on my last trip.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

hikin_mike1960

Post by hikin_mike1960 » June 13th, 2013, 6:59 am

I picked up a Tamron 28 to 300mm lens last year. It has been a fanastic all around lens. Not as cheap as the one your are getting ($625) but the images have been sharp with little to no vigette at the lens limits. Have fun with your new toy.
Take a walk with Mother Nature and find peace.
http://www.takeawalkwithmothernature.com