Olympus PEN E-P5

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
Splintercat

Olympus PEN E-P5

Post by Splintercat » May 10th, 2013, 9:04 am

I still haven't had the $$ to jump onto the micro-four-thirds bandwagon, but one of the benefits of waiting is that more features keep getting added to these tiny little cameras. The built in wi-fi in the new PEN E-P5 probably would have struck me as superfluous had I not seen a photographer in the Gorge recently using an iPad as a tripod-mounted monitor to compose his images! It just looked fun! I probably wouldn't be doing that, but the of reviewing/offloading images with my iPad while on the road is VERY appealing, and wi-fi makes that simple.

The extreme mechanical shutter speed is sort of out of my area of interest, but I can see where people doing action photography would appreciate that, too. Mostly, I'm ready to start packing a much smaller kit... though I'm still a year or more away from being able to afford a full switchover. When that happens, I'm still planning on the Olympus E-M5, though it may have undergone a makeover by the time I save up my shekels, who knows?

Tom :)

kepPNW

Re: Olympus PEN E-P5

Post by kepPNW » May 10th, 2013, 9:34 am

Splintercat wrote:The built in wi-fi probably would have struck me as superfluous had I not seen a photographer in the Gorge recently using an iPad as a tripod-mounted monitor to compose his images! It just looked fun! I probably wouldn't be doing that, but the of reviewing/offloading images with my iPad while on the road is VERY appealing, and wi-fi makes that simple.
Kinda cool, yeah. I like the idea of being able to instantly send photos, too. I hate having to shoot with a phone, just to let someone see where I am. Would probably come up with other uses, once I had such a way to communicate, too.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kelkev

Post by kelkev » May 12th, 2013, 6:23 am

Looks like a very sweet camera! I'm still in the dark ages, shooting with my Olympus SP-565. My wife says I don't need a new camera....she's right, but....ha!
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 13th, 2013, 7:00 pm

My wife says I don't need a new camera....she's right, but....ha!
I'm familiar with that argument, too... and I reject it! But I'm strategically conceding some major purchases for my better half this year as part of my diabolical plan to make the case next winter for a new camera kit... quietly undermining her moral authority, so to speak... ;)

What I find most compelling about the micro four-thirds is the possibility of carrying the ENTIRE kit in a front holster on my pack, freeing up the main pack (I use a lumbar style) for bulky-but-light stuff in colder weather that normally forces me to use a larger pack. Plus, a LOT more convenient to have everything handy, and not have to unpack to take set shots. So... all of that makes me more (or less) ready to give up a real SLR-style viewfinder... kinda... :cry:

-Tom :)