photo sharing website

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
Koda

photo sharing website

Post by Koda » April 28th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Anyone have a good recommendation on a website to upload and store/view/share your photos?

I've been a Picasa user for years but have noticed all my photos are half the original size I uploaded, some even reduced to just kilobites. Sharing is acceptable if you can ignore all the G+ forced on you and the security/privacy settings are not ideal as you cant share if your set to private and the recipient is not a gmail subscriber... IMO, well... dont get me started.

Ideally, I am looking for a site that lets me easily share, link, embed (email, trip reports) etc. while keeping my album privacy settings closed to public view. Free would be nice but I'll entertain the idea of a paid service if affordable. Most important of all, If I send someone a link etc. it does not require that person to log on or sign up...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

TJ_T

Re: photo sharing website

Post by TJ_T » April 28th, 2013, 5:46 pm

I think Smugmug might have a free account. Other than that I used to use Photobucket.
I take pictures sometimes. And sometimes I post them here:
http://www.tjthornephotography.com
and
http://500px.com/TjThorne
and
https://www.facebook.com/tjthornephotography

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 28th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Yeah, I'm ready to say, "I used to use Photobucket," too. Getting more than a little disturbed by the recent redesign. (No longer can you link directly to a shot >1024px without it framing it in all their branding!) Otherwise, it really does work pretty well for TRs here, embedding elsewhere, and you can keep folders private until you share a link. No sign-ups required to view. Might be worth a shot, other than that one (major, IMO) catch.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Koda

Post by Koda » April 28th, 2013, 6:44 pm

kepPNW wrote:(No longer can you link directly to a shot >1024px without it framing it in all their branding!)
can you link an example here if you have time, showing all the branding?

Photobucket seems kinda spendy if they are going to brand all your links etc.

I just found that Wikipedia has an extensive list of image hosting websites I will have to look through.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 28th, 2013, 6:54 pm

Here's what I meant. Quote my message to see how it's coded. Previously, clicking the photo would take you directly to the JPG, which you could view at 100% in your browser. Now, they redirect it into the album. Which, I should add, blows the heck out of any "private" setting you may have had on it, as your guest can now just next/previous through all of it.

Example of Photobucket branding, when you click the photo above.

But, I have trouble being toooo indignant... Mine is a free account. :|

Still, they deliberately broke my existing links! And I have a hard time recommending a company that would abuse a trust like that.
Karl

Koda

Post by Koda » April 28th, 2013, 7:05 pm

wow, so when I clicked on your photo not only was it dwarfed by branding but I was able to 'next/previous' through all your photos as well as download any I want... and regardless I still could not view it any bigger than what you posted in this thread.

FWIW you have a right to be indignant on a free account with all that branding that's how they make their money. Unfortunately I don't think there is a user utopia out there....
thanks for the input here..

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » April 28th, 2013, 7:51 pm

I used Fotki for several years. I had a premium account,(paid). It is a very large photo sharing group. I was not using them much the last couple years so I switched to the free account. They also have limits with these free accounts, and was informed of ads and reductions in storage etc.

I don't know if these folks are what you want, but when I had the premium account I was even given price breaks on membership at times and had unlimited storage with account configurations for photo sharing of members and/or others, comments areas, etc. I could display at the size I wanted as well. I don't have experience with other services to compare, nor do I know what changes have been made recently, so I'm uncertain if this helps or not. I expect a visit to their site would answer a lot of what you want to know. Folks on the Fotki site were always really helpful and even their photo contests were fun.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 28th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Koda wrote:wow, so when I clicked on your photo not only was it dwarfed by branding but I was able to 'next/previous' through all your photos as well as download any I want... and regardless I still could not view it any bigger than what you posted in this thread.

FWIW you have a right to be indignant on a free account with all that branding that's how they make their money. Unfortunately I don't think there is a user utopia out there....
thanks for the input here..
Yeah, and the worst part is, Photobucket broke the trust here. When I built those links, there was no redirection going on. Click on the direct link to the JPG, and that's what you got. If I'd gone into it knowing the limitations, so be it. But those limitations were only imposed recently, after I'd invested a lot in the service they freely offered. And, as you noted, they also opened up entire albums for view, also breaking the very meaning of "private."

For me to go back and fix all the posts with those links in them now is almost unthinkable. Lots and lots of hours. My only other choice is to make sure anytime I have a chance to let folks know how they may be treated..., I do! :(
Karl

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 28th, 2013, 8:12 pm

I'm in the market for a different photo site. Photobucket is going downhill rather rapidly. It used to be so easy to use, now it flat out sux.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Koda

Post by Koda » April 28th, 2013, 8:40 pm

kepPNW wrote:If I'd gone into it knowing the limitations, so be it. But those limitations were only imposed recently, after I'd invested a lot in the service they freely offered.
that's how I feel with Picasa. If I'm sharing with a gmail user it works, not so much if not and I want my album private. I want to be able to share with anyone and not have them require a log in. Picasa didn't used to be that way, and there are other limitations if you don't have a G+ account.

looks like 2 votes against Photobucket. This isn't something I am in a hurry for but if I find something that looks promising I will share here.

more image site reviews encouraged. Fotki actually looks promising...