EOS Rebel?

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
AlexanderSupertramp

EOS Rebel?

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » December 17th, 2008, 11:20 am

Does anybody have an opinion on these cameras? I have heard from a reliable source that I may be getting one for Christmas. If they aren't very good I'd like to head off that idea at the pass. Thanks.

Waffle Stomper

Re: EOS Rebel?

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 17th, 2008, 1:50 pm

I have one and I use it often. The lens that comes with it is acceptable but you are better off with other canon lenses that have better optics. It is also helpful to go to flicker and do a search by camera http://flickr.com/cameras/canon/ where you can see a wide variety of pictures taken by people with different skills sets.

Here are some examples taken with my rebel xti and the stock lens.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

chameleon

Post by chameleon » December 17th, 2008, 2:12 pm

Beautiful pics Wafflestomper - especially the first - absolutely gorgeous. And yes, Adam, the Rebel is a great camera. The new XSi is lightweight, great resolution, wonderful tonal range, and durable. That's what I have as my "good" camera. It's taken a few knocks over that past year, but keeps on going! The pics of Ruckel creek I took in the snow this past week were all with my rebel.
-Zach

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » December 17th, 2008, 6:17 pm

i would take the deal if someone is getting you one!! you'll love it i'm sure. if you learn the manual mode and other features it can take very very nice pictures. i agree about the lens thing too. if you want even better pictures i would suggest something like the 17-55 or the 17-85 lenses. those are, of course, more expensive.
Jamey Pyles

jley

Post by jley » December 17th, 2008, 6:34 pm

It depends on what you have now... It also depends on which Rebel they're talking about. The cameras that came out a few years ago - while still great cameras - are older technology now.

The Rebel is Canon's entry-level DSLR line, and a great way to take a step up in photography. The main difference between the rebel line and the other canons (i.e. 50D, etc) is that the rebel has a plastic body, the user interface is different (buttons vs. a thumb wheel) and some more advanced functions are absent (some older rebels didn't have a mirror lockup function, I'm not sure if the newer ones do).

On the plus side, the Canon Rebel cameras generally have the same sensor as their mid-range models, so you're getting the image quality of a costlier camera at a more reasonable price.

I'd agree to invest in better lenses for it if it's something you think you'll want to stick with & upgrade later. Lens technology doesn't change too much, and a good lens can make a big difference in the quality of the detail you'll be able to get in the images. But, that doesn't matter right out of the box - just enjoy the lens that comes with it and get to know the camera first.

I agree that you should be excited about this... unless you were already planning to buy a higher-end model. For more info you might want to check a site like dpreview.com for info about whichever model is being considered.

greglief

Post by greglief » December 18th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Congratulations in advance!

It's funny that you ask this question. In recent weeks, I have noticed that whenever Pro Photo Supply has a contest (most recently "Wild Beauty"), they always seem to give away Canon gear. Because PPS carries Canon and Nikon gear, I started thinking that Canons were somehow inferior to Nikons to the point that they had to GIVE them away! :lol:

Seriously, though, the EOS Rebel series appears to be a perfectly capable camera based upon photos posted by Zach and Wafflestomper. Also, as others have already pointed out in this thread, the lens quality -- be it Nikon, Canon, Olympus, or any other manufacturer -- can have a profound effect upon the quality of your photos, so you should eventually consider upgrading to something besides the stock lens. When that time comes, you may wish to consult photodo.com, which is a great resource for in-depth lens reviews/testing.

Finally, lest anyone forget, the biggest factor is neither the camera nor the lens... it's the photographer!

Greg

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » December 18th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Wow, thanks to everybody for the fantastic input and advice! I do believe I will greenlight that gift :D.

Adam

airdrum

Post by airdrum » December 18th, 2008, 10:06 pm

It's a nice machine Alexander. As long as you are not printing 20x30" prints nowadays it is hard to tell the difference between a budget DSLR and the highest end cameras. As with all photography, the biggest thing that determines quality will be the light and the skill of the photographer (i.e. knowing when to put on a polarizer or lens hood)

I would not be as anxious to get a better lens than the stock model. While it's true you will get better resolution and detail with a higher quality lens, the likelihood that you will notice the difference is very small, unless of course you become obsessed with the technical details of your photographs. I'd say stick with the stock lens and if you get really serious about it, to the point where you crave every pixel to be perfect, then invest in the lens, those things can be seriously costly! I'd would certainly spend the money you would spend on a lens on these three essential items (IMO):

-Good Tripod (High end aluminum in the 70-100 dollar range are perfect)
-Polarizing Filter (ESSENTIAL)
-A good assortment of lens cleaning cloths (you'll need them when it's damp out!)

Good luck!
Andy

The C-Ws

Post by The C-Ws » December 19th, 2008, 8:11 am

I own an xsi as well and would definitely recommend it. It is a better camera by far than a point and shoot, as long as you don't mind the extra size and weight. However, the loose extending barrel on my kit lens locked up after 2 months (on its own- I didn't drop it or anything) and prevented it from focusing. I've since upgraded to a 17-40mm lens, which isn't that expensive compared to the 17-55mm lens that Jamey recommended, but has a much stronger build and is water resistant. I've since been able to use it in the rain with a raincoat over my camera but not the lens and that has worked great. Definitely go for the camera but beware of the poor build quality of the kit lens. I'll second the tripod recommendation, that is the single most important piece of equipment for getting good waterfall pictures. For a polarizer, don't get the cheapest one you can find, the cheap ones will give you issues with lens flare.

You can also just get the camera with the kit lens and have fun with it, it'll still give you great pictures!
Good luck,
Casey