Which photo is better?

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
Grannyhiker

Re: Which photo is better?

Post by Grannyhiker » November 21st, 2008, 8:54 pm

Consider a submission to the Portland Hikers Calendar, too!

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » November 22nd, 2008, 2:16 am

The light on the water is unquestionably best on #3. I'm guessing that's what drawing people in. (I know it hooked me like crazy). If you're strictly choosing between these three (unedited) for any reason, then you can't go wrong with #3.

To expand the discussion a bit and I suppose, to play devil's advocate, (or to just be troublesome) I think the sky is better a little darker, as in #2. Since these are from nearly the same place, you might be able to combine the sky from a darker photo with the water from #3.

This isn't to point out anything resembling a flaw. #3 is a photo I would proud of and to be honest I'm jealous of. The tweaking I'm thinking of might move the photo from a 9.8 to a 10.5.

Jabali

Post by Jabali » November 22nd, 2008, 6:36 am

These are great shots - You were there at the right time!

Looking at the pictures content, C has a bit of shore in the foreground, giving some context and obvious depth to the composition. B could have been taken from a kayak instead of the shore - you can't tell. So C describes the site better. A shows too much shoreline giving a cluttered look.

However, as a sunset shot B is better, with more intense colors and lacking the foreground rocks, allowing the viewer to focus on the main subject easily.

I think a little Photoshop work here might change your response on this one. Your second picture is a little dark and underexposed, and lightening the water would enhance it nicely. The brighter color range of C in your original grabs the eye but if enhanced B might be just as good in that way. So I agree with Stevefromdodge that the deep colored sky of B is best, but the water needs to lighten up a bit.
....where does that trail go?

Charley

Post by Charley » November 22nd, 2008, 12:23 pm

Thank you all for these very constructive replies! I had actually edited the all these photos to make them darker, so I'm glad some of you pointed out that the lightest one is the most attractive. I think my eyes deceive me sometimes, and I edit photos too dark, and too contrasty.
Thanks a bunch
C
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » December 1st, 2008, 6:18 pm

ok... heres another set:

or

this is ruckle creek falls, btw!
Last edited by pyles_94 on December 6th, 2008, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamey Pyles

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » December 1st, 2008, 7:17 pm

That's Tough Jamey. I'm leaning towards the first photo though.

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » December 1st, 2008, 8:02 pm

Definitely #1. Without the rockwork, you lose the sense of history.

Jabali

Post by Jabali » December 1st, 2008, 8:36 pm

Your first one is much better for more than one reason.

The sense of depth is much greater which makes the photo much more evocative.

The overall design of the first works very well. In contrast the second is too balanced making it look 'flat'. This is despite showing the subject well.

The flowing water in the foreground of the first is very nice, and ties in with the falls in the background well. The second shows the same area of water, but it is less of an obvious element.

Showing the cliff over which the falls fall and the surrounding area adds a great deal to the first. The second leaves you wondering what else is up there!
....where does that trail go?

-Q-

Post by -Q- » December 2nd, 2008, 12:51 am

I also prefer photo #1 Jamey.

Seeing the bridge on the Old Historic Highway in your first picture is very cool.
I also like the leaves on the rocks and in the creek in your first picture.