Wondering why don't people use GPS?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
ElphabaNorthWest

Wondering why don't people use GPS?

Post by ElphabaNorthWest » September 5th, 2008, 8:07 am

I just recently bought a garmin gps and have found it pretty handy for guiding myself when I get off course, which got me thinking about all the hikers who don't use gps. I'm always surprised to find that some people don't even carry a compass and a map.

So... I'm wondering what people's thoughts are. Are gps too expensive. Too hard to use? Don't do what you want? Spoils the adventure?

On the same note, those who aren't carrying maps. Are you going on trails that don't need them? Are the maps to hard to find? Too expensive? I know I hate the fact that the forest service doesn't seem to have pdf files for most of their maps. I wish they would sell (cheap) downloadable versions of the maps they sell at the ranger stations.

jimsiff

Re: Wondering why don't people use GPS?

Post by jimsiff » September 5th, 2008, 8:29 am

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60CS, but I find it's pretty worthless in heavy cover. The newer models are better, but I don't have the money to upgrade. As for what I carry with me... it all depends on where I'm going or what I'm doing. If it's a short family hike in familiar territory, I don't worry about bringing anything. When I'm backpacking or exploring new areas I nearly always have a map/compass and many times my GPS. Sometimes I bring a relevant guide book to refer to or read during breaks.
-Jim

ElphabaNorthWest

Post by ElphabaNorthWest » September 5th, 2008, 8:37 am

I do have one of the newer models, (I think it was too expensive though. Do they really cost that much to make?) so I haven't had any problems getting a signal. I don't really like the mapping software and don't want to pay an extra $100 to get the garmin maps (I already owned TOPO), so I have been using routes and waypoints mostly. That works fine if I already had a route in mind, but not so well for new trails that aren't on the topo or if I change my mind and end up going somewhere else.

I wish it was possible to just upload all of the trails for a couple of quadrangles easily. I haven't found a good way to do that. Am I using it wrong or are other people wishing for a better user interface too?

jimsiff

Post by jimsiff » September 5th, 2008, 8:53 am

I agree the Garmin PC user interface could be better out of the box. I have Garmin's City Select 7 software (discontinued?) for turn-by-turn routing through the city and Garmin 100K Topo series. I'm not sure it was worth the money, but it's nice to have some contour lines to reference while in the field. I also use Topo! which I've found to be extremely useful. I plan my routes on Topo then upload the info to my GPS. I will make a map with waypoints and coordinates and a UTM grid, print it on waterproof paper, and use it in conjunction with my compass and/or GPS. I find it works well for me. Depending on my route size, I can shrink multiple quad areas onto one sheet or print on both sides of the paper.
-Jim

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » September 5th, 2008, 10:56 am

I have the Garmin 60csx, and don't really use it to help keep me on track, I use it for the track log so I can overlay that on a map when I get home. I also like the altitude readout.

The other thing I like to do is to create web pages with pictures I took on the hike overlaid on them using topofusion. It creates pages like this:

http://www.topofusion.com/photofusion/gunny/

Although you can't upload "normal" maps to the Garmin, I did find the following program that allows you to create maps that can be uploaded:

Mother of all garmin utilities

The only problem is that the maps are rather large, and drawing them on the GPS is slow.

With that being said, I always bring a paper map and compass, just in case something happens to my GPS.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 5th, 2008, 11:53 am

I use a 60CSx. Nice to find my way. More useful to record my track so I can refer to it later. I use the additional $100 Garmin Mapsource top maps which are sufficient for my use. I also carry a paper map but hardly ever refer to it.

Before the GPS I just used a paper map and altimeter which were sufficient.

I think it's unwise to carry no map unless you're on a well known trail.

Charley

Post by Charley » September 5th, 2008, 1:06 pm

1. Price!
2. Batteries running out.
3. Having to take care of another sensitive, expensive electronics product.

Besides, I really enjoy using my maps. I generally keep it out, and constantly refer to it. A good topo is a real joy to use.

I second the frustration with the Forest Service's lack of map-availability. The Oregon State Parks maps I've picked up recently (Smith Rock, Stub Stewart, Silver Falls) have what looks like an in house designed topo map with lots of trail info, full color, 40 contour intervals, and even contour shading. These maps are free at Nature of the Northwest- props to Oregon State Parks! Also available in PDF online; for example:
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_211.php

I never leave the car without a map. I always hike by myself, and while I leave a route and schedule with a friend and a family member, I've no interest in getting lost in the first place.

I would be very interested in getting an altimeter, though. I already carry a large watch, so one of those combination jobs wouldn't add any weight or complexity to my routine.
Charley
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

BCJ

Post by BCJ » September 5th, 2008, 1:53 pm

I use a map and compass because it feels more authentic to me; it keeps the sense of adventure. I have no problem with others using a GPS and don't feel like it's cheating, but I like to have as few electronics devices with me as possible when I'm in the wilderness.

Billc

Post by Billc » September 5th, 2008, 7:18 pm

I am intersted, I just can't get past the problems of not up loading maps, batteries to carry, and it is another screen to stare at instead of the real world. I compare a GPS to reading a book on an ipod. If they standardize the map interface with topos I might take the plunge.

Bill

skimanjohn

Post by skimanjohn » September 5th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Cost,batteries,breakdowns are all reasons i still use compass,map and alt.None of these three have batteries nor are they really prone to failure.I do beleive that in the future gps will be the norm but also less expensive and less prone to failure and dead batteries.